TabPanel TabIndex property RRS feed

• Question

• User706013099 posted

I have a requirement where I need to determine the index of a TabPanel based on its ID in order to make it active on Page.Load. I can't use the index directly as there can be a varying number of tabs. And trying to set the TabContainer ActiveTab property using the ID is seemingly not supported. I see that a TabPanel has a TabIndex property, but if I look at this on Page.Load it is always zero. Any ideas why this is the case?

Jon

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:20 AM

Answers

• User1734617369 posted

Hi,

I missunderstood your requirements, the TabIndex property of the TabPanel is not what you could think it is according to the name, it is a inherited Property from the WebControl class and it is only used for setting the tab index of the html elemet that is rendered, i e the order in which the control will get focus if navigation is done with the tab key.

If it is possible you should use the Tab Id to send to the popup and use that when coming back to the page, or if you assign the TabIndex a value when you create the TabPanels then you can use it to get the correct TabPanel when coming back but that will mean that you will have to iterate over the whole TabPanel collection of the TabContainer.

Hope this gives a little better answer!

Best regards
    Johan 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 5:05 PM

All replies

• User1734617369 posted

Hi,

Is this something like what you want, here is a page:

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs" Inherits="WebApplication2.WebForm1" %>
    <%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit" Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="asp" %>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <asp:ToolkitScriptManager ID="ToolkitScriptManager1" runat="server">
        </asp:ToolkitScriptManager>
        <div>
            <asp:TabContainer ID="TabContainer1" runat="server">
                <asp:TabPanel ID="TP1" runat="server" HeaderText="One">
                    <ContentTemplate>
                    </ContentTemplate>
                </asp:TabPanel>
                <asp:TabPanel ID="TP2" runat="server" HeaderText="Two">
                    <ContentTemplate>
                    </ContentTemplate>
                </asp:TabPanel>
            </asp:TabContainer>
        </div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

and the code:

using System;
    using System.Linq;

namespace WebApplication2
    {
        public partial class WebForm1 : System.Web.UI.Page
        {
            protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                var selectedTab = (from AjaxControlToolkit.TabPanel tab in TabContainer1.Tabs
                          where tab.ID.Equals("TP2")
                          select tab).SingleOrDefault();

if (selectedTab != null)
                {
                    TabContainer1.ActiveTab = selectedTab;
                }
            }
        }
    }

Or do you want to make the active tab selection on the client side or in another event on the server?

Best regards
    Johan

Monday, December 2, 2013 6:36 AM
  • User706013099 posted

Johan - many thanks for this. Certainly what you have suggested will work fine in the scenario you have addressed. But perhaps I should have been more clear about my scenario. I have a complex page which is essentially a tabcontainer which can have a variable number and mix of tabpanels. From any tab the user may choose to take some action which can result in a popup containing a separate .aspx page (e.g. to edit or supplement the data displayed in that tab - incidentally I do not use the popup extenders in the ACT as these do not support loading a separate page other than by using an iframe within the panel which I do not want to do). When such a popup completes, it usually sets up a 'continue' link to navigate to the parent page specifying the tab index as a querystring parameter. And then in the Page.Load, the parent page sets the ActiveTab according to this querystring parameter (if present). This works fine when the tabpanels are known. The difficulty comes when the required tabpanel index is not known. The only way I could see to manage this would be first for the parent page to pass the tab index as a querystring parameter to the popup. Where I was stuck was in determining the tab index for a particular tab within the parent page. Your approach will allow me to get the TabPanel object and use this to set the ActiveTab, but for some reason (unless I am missing something here) it does not  provide me with the tab index - despite the fact that it contains a TabIndex Property! What is the point of having such a property if it is always zero?

Jon

Monday, December 2, 2013 10:27 AM
  • User1734617369 posted

Hi,

I missunderstood your requirements, the TabIndex property of the TabPanel is not what you could think it is according to the name, it is a inherited Property from the WebControl class and it is only used for setting the tab index of the html elemet that is rendered, i e the order in which the control will get focus if navigation is done with the tab key.

If it is possible you should use the Tab Id to send to the popup and use that when coming back to the page, or if you assign the TabIndex a value when you create the TabPanels then you can use it to get the correct TabPanel when coming back but that will mean that you will have to iterate over the whole TabPanel collection of the TabContainer.

Hope this gives a little better answer!

Best regards
    Johan 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 5:05 PM