Install on PC fails with 0x0000005C

Question

• Hopefully someone can help me, I installed Windows 8 WDP on my laptop (Dell L501X) and am enjoying it so far, seems to be very stable for a pre-beta release. It's performing so well I wanted to try it out on my main PC too (Intel Skulltrail platform) but after I hit space to start the install after the "Hit any key to boot from DVD/CD" prompt, I get a progress bar going from left to right, the screen clears, I get the usual "Windows Developer Preview" splash and then I get the following error on a blank black screen :

Your computer needs to restart.

Please hold down the power button.

Error Code: 0x0000005C

Parameters:

0x0000000000000200

0x0000000005250631

0x0000000000000005

0xFFFFFFFFC000000E

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/998933/0x0000005C.jpg

What could cause this? I have 2 x QX9775 CPUs on an Intel Skulltrail mobo (D5400XS) with 16GB of FBDIMM 800MHz memory. I'm using an Intel SSD for my main OS (Which hopefully will be WDP). My CPUs support virtualisation and this is enabled, could this be a cause? (I only ask cos I've seen lots of people having problems installing on VMs, although my laptop installed it fine and that has virtual cores).

I am using an SSD and also another 140GB drive and a 1.5TB drive, should I try disconnecting these drives and install without them connected and then connect them after install?

Any ideas welcome :)

Thanks guys

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:09 PM

All replies

• This is a stop code.  It can be caused by many reasons but the most common is related to a driver.  Are you booting from a DVD directly or starting the install from a windows environment?  Are you trying to install in a Virtual Machine?  Tell me more about how you are trying to install.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Bug Check 0x5C: HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I think the WDP has an issue with your 2 CPUs. Disable 1 in the BIOS and try to install again.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:01 PM
  • I think you might be right, I tried everything else I can think of. Changing from AHCI to IDE, Unhooking the rest of the drives.

Don't think I'm willing to lose one of my CPUs though just to install Windows 8, I would've thought it would work with multiple processors, isn't the next server base going to be built on the same code? 

I can't use Home Premium 7 for the same reason, pain in the butt tbh.

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:43 PM
  • I tried to install both from a cold boot of the DVD (the same DVD I used on my laptop for a successful install so I know the burn was good) and I also tried an in-place upgrade from Windows 7. Both methods give me the same result. I've pretty much decided it's likely to be the fact that I have dual CPUs. It still surprises me though because most previous test/beta versions of Windows I've tested (Vista, 7) have been the flagship releases (Ultimate) which did support dual CPUs, which version would the Developer Preview compare to in the previous releases? Surely it would be the flagship again?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:19 AM
  • I can't use Home Premium 7 for the same reason, pain in the butt tbh.

yes, Windows 7 Prof/Enterprise/Ultimate is required to use 2 CPUs. This is a licensing policy:

policyInt name="Kernel-RegisteredProcessors" attributes="reboot-required, override-only">2

But I don't know why the PC has issues to install Win7 HP or the WDP.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Your computer needs to restart.

Please hold down the power button.

Error Code: 0x0000005C
    Parameters:
    0x0000000000000200
    0x0000000005250631
    0x0000000000000005
    0xFFFFFFFFC000000E

I have exactly the same problem with identical parameters. ASUS P5E WS Professional motherboard. I have tried everything but cannot get around it. Intel core 2 Duo processor - Extreme x6800. I have changed everything but the motherboard - memory, display adapter, installed from USB stick, changed BIOS settings, etc. Post back if you find the magic bullet, otherwise I will have to wait for the next release. Server 2008r2 runs fine on the same box. I can boot from windows 7 install disk but Windows 8 x86, x64, and server all have the same BSOD.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Same for me on an old Acer TravelMate 8104WLMi single core ptop. Tried booting from a DVD and a USB. Same result.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Anyone made any progress with the 0x0000005C?
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hey everyone,

If you haven't already tried this, check your computer manufacturer's website to see if your computer's motherboard has a more recent BIOS version available.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Also if you have any external drives or hardware attached to your computer try removing them during the installation process.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 1:02 AM
  • I have the latest BIOS but it is still 2 years old. However, if all ASUS P5E computers failed to install Windows 8 I think we would hear about it. I have tried setting the BIOS to system defaults and that doesn't help. I am not overclocking and all the BIOS settings are pretty much vanilla. I have tried setting the disks to both AHCI and IDE with no difference. Can't you Microsoft guys look at the error codes generated by this crash and get a hint of what caused it? After all whet good are the error codes if we don't know what they mean? This crash occurs immediately after the splash screen so it's something pretty basic, and it doesn't occur with a Windows 7 install DVD so it is definitely something unique to Windows 8.
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Trying to install WDP x64, fails after "loading files" and first WDP splash screen. 

I have the same problem as NMCowboy  -- host pc is ASUS P5E WS - same error codes.  I, too, am using an SSD for the main drive, but if I ever get into the install far enough I will actually use a VHD for the C: drive.   At this point, there's nothing virtual involved.  I assume the install is running out of a RAM drive at the time of the failure.

The same USB stick loads on Dell Latitude E6510 and in fact I am posting this from the laptop.

-Dan D-
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hey everyone,

If the steps above haven't allowed you to install Windows Developer Preview, please visit the link below to submit your problem as feedback using the Microsoft Connect site. If you are asked for an invitation code, please enter the following key: ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=5023&FeedbackType=1

Steven
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Hey everyone,

If the steps above haven't allowed you to install Windows Developer Preview, please visit the link below to submit your problem as feedback using the Microsoft Connect site. If you are asked for an invitation code, please enter the following key: ADD1-RY34-K4T4
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=5023&FeedbackType=1

Steven

The link sited above does not work. I received a page not found error. I attempted to search for Windows 8 WDP on the connect site but could not find that either.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Hey NMCowboy,

The link above is still working for me. Let's try having you visit the main page of the Microsoft Connect program by using the link below:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4

Assuming the link above opens, log into your Windows Live account and then click the Feedback link in the left column. After that click the Submit Feedback button which should lead you to the form that is linked above.

Steven
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Sorry Steve,

I floundered around for 15 minutes with site registration and questionaires and never could get to where you pointed me. I got to a page that had all the products accepting bugs and suggestions and most of them were old. Windows WDP was not among them. I sigened in with my Windows ID successfully, but that was as far as it went. I got another motherboard and have installed the WDP. As I mentioned I was trying to install on an ASUS P5E WS Professional. I hope this helps someone and maybe you can come up with a link that you don't have to be sitting in downtown Redmond to access.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:15 PM
  • You can also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Marilyn
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:01 PM
  • I have same problem like an author.

...and I have same config, Intel skulltrail octocore (d5400xs) with latest bios.

Love this screen : )

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Any good news?
    • Edited by s0cialkaos Friday, November 25, 2011 4:24 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:24 PM
  • The only reported issue with the  Error "HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"  is when you install Windows Developer Preview on Windows Virtual PC or on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. 

The KB article is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2619487 

There has not been any further documention on this issue noted.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Can't you Microsoft guys look at the error codes generated by this crash and get a hint of what caused it?

it doesn't occur with a Windows 7 install DVD so it is definitely something unique to Windows 8.

Andre already showed us what it means.   The fact that it works in W7 may indicate that you have a custom HAL from the manufacturer; then you would probably need another one to run W8.   Can you install vanilla W7 without the install picking up a custom HAL?   Perhaps you could start by comparing the  hal.inf  in each?

FWIW mine has this cryptic comment:   ; )

;****************************************************
    ; Standard AMD64 HAL.  Although there is only one HAL, we have two install
    ; sections so that we can move from the UP kernel to the MP kernel when
    ; processors are added to the machine.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:51 PM