Metro UI For desktop app

Question

• can i develop/debug desktop app using Metro UI with visual studio 2012 running on windows 7?

Monday, September 23, 2013 11:37 AM

Answers

• It depends on what you mean by "Metro" here.

Windows Store apps run only on Windows 8 and later. They require Windows 8 or later to develop and debug. Windows Store apps cannot be written on Windows 7.

If you want a similar UI on a desktop app you will need to implement it yourself or find a 3rd party control set. For suggestions try posting in the desktop development forums or in forums for the toolkit you are using (I'd look at WPF or Silverlight to write a highly customized UI rather than starting with WinForms, MFC, or straight Win32).

--Rob

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:39 PM

All replies

• yes, but depending on the technology you will have to create everything yourself. you cant reuse controls from windows store apps

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:07 PM
  • it means we don't have any option available for  Metro UI  within visual studio 2012/ 2013 itself running on win7 ?

we need to used some third party tools to do so, if it would be the case then what will the best option available for the same, and which is compatible to most win environment ?

Monday, September 23, 2013 1:16 PM
  • It depends on what you mean by "Metro" here.

Windows Store apps run only on Windows 8 and later. They require Windows 8 or later to develop and debug. Windows Store apps cannot be written on Windows 7.

If you want a similar UI on a desktop app you will need to implement it yourself or find a 3rd party control set. For suggestions try posting in the desktop development forums or in forums for the toolkit you are using (I'd look at WPF or Silverlight to write a highly customized UI rather than starting with WinForms, MFC, or straight Win32).

--Rob

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Thanks for reply

--Aaresha

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:56 PM