Getting the "The subscription is not authorized for this feature." uploading HPC vhd. RRS feed

• Question

• Followed the article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh184312(v=ws.10).aspx

Buit HPC Image that was prepared ok but when it comes to the realupload i get the error "The subscription is not authorized for this feature."

I am using MSDN subs + VM Preview. I have removed the 0.00 charge limitation but still, no luck.

Any ideas or knowledge how to troubleshoot is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Br,

K

• Moved by MingXu-MSFTMicrosoft employee Saturday, October 6, 2012 4:45 PM IaaS questions (From:Windows Azure Troubleshooting, Diagnostics & Logging)
    Friday, October 5, 2012 12:01 AM

Answers

• Klliev,

when you opted-in for the Windows Azure Virtual Machines preview we should have automatically enabled the additional feature that enables you to upload VHDs using your subscription.

I am not positive if there is any restriction to upload using the HPC Cluster Manager for preview subscriptions, I will check on that but first I would like to see if the feature did enabled properly with your subscription.

Please  send me an e-mail at flmurato@microsoft.com with your subscription ID and a link to this forum thread so I can check on that.

My best regards.

Flavio Muratore Sr. Support Escalation Engineer Windows Azure Technical Support

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:21 AM

All replies

• Klliev,

when you opted-in for the Windows Azure Virtual Machines preview we should have automatically enabled the additional feature that enables you to upload VHDs using your subscription.

I am not positive if there is any restriction to upload using the HPC Cluster Manager for preview subscriptions, I will check on that but first I would like to see if the feature did enabled properly with your subscription.

Please  send me an e-mail at flmurato@microsoft.com with your subscription ID and a link to this forum thread so I can check on that.

My best regards.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Klliev,

Thank you for your e-mail. I checked your subscription and the "VM Role" feature is not active. Because this is a beta feature you need to request access to it.

To request access:

1. Go to the "Previous Portal" - it is not available on the preview portal.
    2. Click on "Beta Programs"
    3. Select "VM Role" and click "Apply for Access"
    4. There is a limited availability for the beta and it may take several days for access to be granted.
    5. After the VM role status shows as Active you should be able to complete the operation.

Let me know if you have any further questions
    My best regards

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:54 PM
  • This HPC scenario uses VM Role, not the newer Virtual Machines feature.

The VM Role is only for stateless VMs, while the newer Virtual Machines feature is for persistent VMs.

From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg481765(v=ws.10).aspx:

To upload a VHD and deploy Windows Azure VM nodes, your subscription must be enabled for the VM role feature, which is currently a beta release. To apply for participation in the beta, log on to the Management Portal, click Home, and then click Beta Programs.

Thanks,
    Craig

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Thanks for the effort guys. It was exactly as said. I was missing the VM Role feature when added it all worked like a charm.

Thank you very much for your support on this!

Best regards,

Konstantin

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:49 PM