Ucase Error on Report Open RRS feed

• Question

• I recently got a new laptop at work.  My old one was Windows XP and I created an Access file that I use from time to time.  There were no issues with this file on the old computer.  My new machine is on Windows 7.  When I open the file on the new computer (Windows 7), and I try to print a report, I get the following two error messages shown below.  I used the Ucase function on some reports so that if a user entered text and didn't capitalize it, the report would still show the proper capitalization.  What should I do to fix this error from occurring each time?

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:39 PM

Answers

• Activate the Visual Basic Editor.

Select Tools | References...

Look for selected references (listed at the top) whose name begins with MISSING:

If there are missing references, clear their check boxes.

Then switch back to Access and try again.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by jdmcleod Monday, November 12, 2012 4:06 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Access uses Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) for functions such as UCase and Date.

The selected references in Tools | References... in the Visual Basic Editor specify which code elements will be available. At a minimum, you'll always have the core VBA and Access code elements. Over the lifetime of a database, other references may be added. But they aren't always needed, and the "non-native" references may not be available on a different version of Office or Windows. When you migrated to Windows 7, one of the selected but non-essential references was not available any more. When a refgerence is "missing", simple functions such as Ucase or Date will not be recognized any more.

By clearing the check box, VBA started working normally again.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by jdmcleod Monday, November 12, 2012 10:28 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:16 PM

All replies

• Activate the Visual Basic Editor.

Select Tools | References...

Look for selected references (listed at the top) whose name begins with MISSING:

If there are missing references, clear their check boxes.

Then switch back to Access and try again.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by jdmcleod Monday, November 12, 2012 4:06 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Thanks Hans, that worked.  Do you mind sharing with me what that did?  I just wanted to know the "how and why" of it so I can better understand Access.

Thanks again.

Monday, November 12, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Access uses Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) for functions such as UCase and Date.

The selected references in Tools | References... in the Visual Basic Editor specify which code elements will be available. At a minimum, you'll always have the core VBA and Access code elements. Over the lifetime of a database, other references may be added. But they aren't always needed, and the "non-native" references may not be available on a different version of Office or Windows. When you migrated to Windows 7, one of the selected but non-essential references was not available any more. When a refgerence is "missing", simple functions such as Ucase or Date will not be recognized any more.

By clearing the check box, VBA started working normally again.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by jdmcleod Monday, November 12, 2012 10:28 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:16 PM