none
Boot screen behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Boot screen

I'm try to configure the boot screen as well as the logon/logoff screens to remove as much Microsoft branding as possible.  I'm a bit confused though because I've seen at least 3 ways that the boot screen is displayed

1.  Nothing/Black screen.  I'm pretty sure this occurs when the Hide Boot Screens package is included.
    2.  The text "Starting Windows" is displayed and a few seconds later the Windows firefly is displayed above it
    3.  A horizontal progress bar with "Microsoft Corporation" underneath.

What settings in the answer file result in the boot screen being #2?  #3?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:41 PM

All replies

• #1: Correct, Hide Boot Screens blanks the screen.

#2: This is the default that you'll get without Hide Boot Screens.

#3: You get this if your display doesn't support 1024x768 and you aren't hiding boot screens. I can't think of a Display setting that would be used to force a lower resolution at this point - I believe it is entirely up to the kernel.

If you're running 32-bit, there are hacks out there for modifying the animation that is displayed on bootup so you don't have a blank screen. 64-bit requires test-signing to be enabled, which watermarks your desktop. I believe that the watermark shows up for a second before your custom shell loads, so you can't hide it completely. Future Windows Updates (if your device installs them) could possibly change it back to the Windows animation.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:00 PM
  • Definetely not supported but possible;

http://www.youtube.com/v/oT1YWhapWts

Preatty much everything was tweaked. Requires testsigning (for both 32 and 64 bit). Why not give support for such tweaks?

Joakim

Monday, October 11, 2010 7:46 AM
  • I'm very thankfull for the vid.

i edited for testing nearly everything out from bootres and winload.mui (with unsign tweak in bcd)

but winload "first page" is completly new to me. (thanks! - if you have any information on this, please let me know.)

your question:

it's difficult to handle files like this, becaus of the complexibilty and especially the signing thing.

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Monday, October 11, 2010 9:49 PM
  • The first page shown by winload is by default black (and thus invisible). You can add color and text to it by editing the template named "osload-main" inside the embedded xsl resource. For a good portion of details, please read through this long thread; http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/106861-how-change-boot-animation-windows-7-a.html It is worth reading if you want to tweak the boot process all the way from when bootmgr presents the menu and until kernel has taken over. This includes text, text size and color, background colors, animation, copyright info, etc. When I get the time I will update the first post to include all the interesting information that are spread over 248 posts (as of now).

Joakim

Monday, October 11, 2010 10:42 PM
  • Back to the original Thread.

I'm also still interesstied in knowing the different settings of the BCD/bootmgr.

I have a 24" Dell Monitor which loaded with normal Windows 7 Logo and after recovering the Monitor only displays the poor green vista bar.

So this can't only have somethingto do with "detected" supported resolution.

ANYONE?

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:28 PM