SharePoint 2010 RTM compatibility with Active Directory Domain Functional Level 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have an instance of SharePoint 2010 Release to Market version. No cululative updates and no service packs. Now we are being told that our infrastructure department would like to upgrade us from a 2008 Domain Functional Level to 2012. Are there any compatibility issues with the RTM version of 2010 running on a AD functional level of 2012? I see posts that SP1 and SP2 seem to be fine with this, but I have not found a post about the RTM version.

If there are issues with a full Domain Functional Level of 2012, are there issues with simply upgrding the AD servers to AD 2012 without actually pushing the functional level to 2012?

Any help, especially links to writeups that I have not found, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, February 16, 2015 1:24 PM

Answers

• After farther research, it seems like this will not be an issue. I review the article a colleague sent over and it states that there are issues installing SharePoint 2010 RTM on a 2012 server, and that there may be issues installing SharePoint on a Domain controller, but nothing about issues with the active directory forest level. I am going to remove my objections to their upgrade. If anybody does see issues running SharePoint 2010 RTM on an active directory functional Domain level of 2012, please post here. I will try to repost after they upgrade.

Thanks for the responses.

Berney

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, February 23, 2015 1:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, March 2, 2015 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:51 PM

All replies

• SharePoint 2010 RTM is no longer supported, you should be on SP2 by now. SP1 brought significant performance and SP2 significant stability improvements to the platform. I'd look at upgrading as soon as possible.

Monday, February 16, 2015 1:26 PM
  • We actually have a 2013 environment up and running and we are migrating to that solution, but that migration is not going quickly and they would like to upgrade the Domain Functional Level before we will be done our migration. The old site was used as a dumping ground for data and the content databases are too large to upgrade. Now we are splitting that information up, tagging it and organizing with care, but this takes time. The old site has to stick around until the migration can be completed.

Thoughts?

Monday, February 16, 2015 1:31 PM
  • Who told you that SharePoint on RTM 2010 has issues with Domain level 2012 ? Because if there was there would have been article released stating the same and If you aren't confident then build a test farm.
    Monday, February 16, 2015 3:06 PM
  • After farther research, it seems like this will not be an issue. I review the article a colleague sent over and it states that there are issues installing SharePoint 2010 RTM on a 2012 server, and that there may be issues installing SharePoint on a Domain controller, but nothing about issues with the active directory forest level. I am going to remove my objections to their upgrade. If anybody does see issues running SharePoint 2010 RTM on an active directory functional Domain level of 2012, please post here. I will try to repost after they upgrade.

Thanks for the responses.

Berney

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, February 23, 2015 1:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Monday, March 2, 2015 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:51 PM