Publishing apps from Australia RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

In Australia, developers selling apps through the Microsoft store are required to have an ABN registered for GST.

This can tend to be painful as with little or no income, one must submit a zero GST return every month. Failure to do so can result in a hefty fine.

Thus I have an ABN but do not register is for GST.

What I have been attempting to determine is, can I sell apps in other than Australian markets. Selling in other markets one does not have to collect GST.

I'm having some difficulty getting this past the Windows store team. I'd like to register my app(s) for sale in other than Australian markets.

As an aside, my understanding is that apple have dropped the requirement for GST registration.  The onus is on the developer to register once the threshold of 75000 is reached.

Greg Farquhar

Greg Farquhar

Monday, July 31, 2017 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

According to App Developer Agreement, for any transactions that involve a purchase of your App or In-App products by an Australian Customer, you must add an ABN to your developer account and complete the GST registration.  

If you have any difficulty registering GST, you could contact Dev Center support through your developer account.

Or you can choose to remove Australia from the market list that your app supports when you define your market selection in dashboard.

If it's helpful, could you please mark it as answer so that other community faced with same issue could find it more convenient?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:23 AM