Ubuntu 16 XRDP xrdp_mm_process_login_response:login failed. RRS feed

• Question

• On a fresh new build XRDP was installed per:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/use-remote-desktop

I tried to use the Microsoft Beta Client but the screen was having some possible text contrast issues. RoyalTSX can see the text (as above) however when I put my username password combination in things end with:

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545} </style>

xrdp_mm_process_login_response:login failed

I attempted to try adding the admin user to the group tsadmins which I had to create because it did not exist yet but that didn't help the situation. Some basic changes I have been trying with a sudo service xrdp restart but nothing is working yet. 

Is it known why the 

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #454545} </style>

xrdp_mm_process_login_response:login failed?

Thank You!

Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:23 PM

Answers

• Can you try rerunning the sudo passwd azureuser

That way you can try to pass a new password and user. 

You can also try making a new user instead

sudo passwd NEW_User

Finally, try resetting the admin password and username via the portal and see if that helps. 

• Marked as answer by S.e.p.y Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:33 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:27 PM

All replies

• I believe there are some issues if trying to do this from a Mac. Could you try through a windows RDP session just to test this? I ran through the xrdp doc the other day and was able to get it working. 

If you don't have a Windows PC you could quickly create a temp VM and RDP using that. Then if you get the same error we can dig in deeper. 

Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:57 PM
  • The same thing does happen in Windows Remote Desktop Client.

Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for that. Did you create the VM from the portal or via PowerShell/ CLI? Did you use a password when creating or SSH Key? 
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:17 PM
  • The virtual machine was created through the web portal. I used the standard ssh generation terminal syntax I found on google to generate and the cat ~/.ssh/id_rdp.pub and paste the stuff that comes out into the appropriate box in the web portals routine for a new virtual machine. I opened all the standard checkboxes in the way of ports that are available in the web portals dialog.
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:25 PM
  • Can you try rerunning the sudo passwd azureuser

That way you can try to pass a new password and user. 

You can also try making a new user instead

sudo passwd NEW_User

Finally, try resetting the admin password and username via the portal and see if that helps. 

• Marked as answer by S.e.p.y Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:33 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:27 PM
  • It does. Thx.

Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:35 PM
  • Hello,

I have same issue and try to authenticate with LDAP user. Below troubleshoot steps has been done but no luck.

1. Updated Ubuntu machine.
    2. Re-installed xrdp and enabled the port on firewall but there is authentication issue unable to enter the username/password.

Friday, March 22, 2019 1:36 AM
  • Hi atausif,

I hope you have created a vm with username and password in Azure.

Or you have created a user and assigned a password to that user.

Can you post a screenshot with the actual error message.I didnt get the part where you are saying  "unable to enter the username and password"

Also to make sure your username ans passwords are correct, You car try ssh to the Linux box.

Try this out an let me know.

Friday, March 22, 2019 5:38 AM
    Owner