Sql Mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• What is the draw back of having one physical server with multiple instance Mirror for 3 Production server databases  in different machine.?
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:03 PM

Answers

• So you have 3 production servers with databases that are mirrored to a single server that hosts all 3 mirrors. Well, that's not an uncommon attempt to reduce cost but the obvious concerns are:

• all eggs in 1 basket, if that server fails at any level, you now have 3 databases exposed/unprotected instead of 1
    • if you experience widespread or total site failure at your primary location, can this one server housing 3 mirrors handle the load that will be switched over?
    • Will you have any security, namespace or even job conflicts housing mirrors of 3 databases, each originally from its own server?

These are just off the top of my head; I'm sure there're quite a few more to consider. It can be done. You just need to be sure you know the issues and are ok with them or can manage them.

Suggest you post your goals in the HADR forum. Folks can then provide suggestions on feasible solutions.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    • Marked as answer by Aronbisrat Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:23 PM

All replies

• Your situation is not very clear.Could you explain more.
    Anup | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:49 PM
  • So you have 3 production servers with databases that are mirrored to a single server that hosts all 3 mirrors. Well, that's not an uncommon attempt to reduce cost but the obvious concerns are:

• all eggs in 1 basket, if that server fails at any level, you now have 3 databases exposed/unprotected instead of 1
    • if you experience widespread or total site failure at your primary location, can this one server housing 3 mirrors handle the load that will be switched over?
    • Will you have any security, namespace or even job conflicts housing mirrors of 3 databases, each originally from its own server?

These are just off the top of my head; I'm sure there're quite a few more to consider. It can be done. You just need to be sure you know the issues and are ok with them or can manage them.

Suggest you post your goals in the HADR forum. Folks can then provide suggestions on feasible solutions.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    • Marked as answer by Aronbisrat Wednesday, October 5, 2011 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:23 PM