none
TimeOut error after migrating the DB from sql 2005 to sql 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We have recently migrated the DB from sql server 2005 to sql server 2008.

Now when i make calls from webapplication to database i get the timeout error.

Please suggest me on what possible things i should check?

Thanks,

Navatha.

• Moved by Bob Beauchemin Thursday, July 21, 2016 10:09 PM Moved to the forum for client-side SqlClient for best results
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Navatha Mundru,

>>Please suggest me on what possible things i should check?

The "Timeout expired" error commonly occurs when an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine is not running, when the server name was typed incorrectly, or when there are network problems or firewalls.

The following link provide a work around by performing one of the following actions:

1. Create an exception in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on the client computer.

2. Specify the TCP port number or named pipe name as part of the server name in the connection string.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190181(v=sql.105).aspx

I hope it's helpful to you.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:43 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Increase Timeout time and check. You can get some idea

Vignesh M

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Hi Vigneesh,

I have increased the timeout eventhough the same issue exists..

Almost we have given some indefinite timeout.

Thanks,

Navatha.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:04 PM
  • What timeout? Connection timeout or a command timeout?

In case of the latter, have you investigated which query that is producing the timeout?

And, if you don't mind, how come that in AD2016, you migrate from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008? Why not SQL 2016 or at least SQL 2014?

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:36 PM
  • Hi Navatha Mundru,

>>Please suggest me on what possible things i should check?

The "Timeout expired" error commonly occurs when an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine is not running, when the server name was typed incorrectly, or when there are network problems or firewalls.

The following link provide a work around by performing one of the following actions:

1. Create an exception in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on the client computer.

2. Specify the TCP port number or named pipe name as part of the server name in the connection string.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190181(v=sql.105).aspx

I hope it's helpful to you.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:43 AM