Changing Output File? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bunch of DLLs that are used by different projects.  Rather than dumping them all in the different output directories of my projects, I have a common /bin directory.

I went to Project Properties > Linker > General > Output File, and forced the file to output to my common /bin directory.  It builds fine, and places all my project executables in the /bin directory.  But when I try to run them with the IDE's play button, I get a "file not found" error, and it seems to have forgotten where the executables are, since they are not in the default output directory..

Any way to resolve this?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:24 PM

Answers

• The 'Play' button is the 'start debugging' button, which can also be invoked by F5. 

It invokes the Debugging Command* of the 'Startup Project', which is the one highlighted in the Solution Explorer.

(* Project Properties/Configuration Properties/Debugging/Command)

By default, the debugging command is $(TargetPath), but if you have moved stuff around that may no longer be correct.

Check that the correct project is the 'Startup Project', and then check its debugging configuration as described above.

Answering policy: see profile.
    • Marked as answer by shaunew Wednesday, September 1, 2010 3:48 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:23 PM