Selection of DBMS RRS feed

• Question

• User-1204164177 posted

Hi

I am creating an application in .net, im programming in vb, could anyone help me as to the pro's and con's of the following DBMS that I could use...?

-SQL Server

-Access

-Oracle

Mysql.

any help would be appriciated

cheers

Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:43 PM

Answers

• User1747761241 posted

sql server you get all the built in stuff on asp.net working out of the box linq grids with paging data designers all the cool stuff just works, asp.net authentication, everything works.

No the cool stuff just doesn't always work on the others.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:13 AM
  • User-319574463 posted

Access is a very cost-effective prototyping system, however its use in a muti-user environment is potentially disaterous.

MySql is a possible contender as a DBMS, however when I last looked it was lagging behind other Oracle and SQL Server.

Oracle is robust but suffers from being pricey and its tools are slow to respond compared to the others.

SQL Server is also robust and provided your data will exceed 5Gb, the Express version is very reasonably priced - just your time to download it. (Please download the full version that includes the express version of SQL Server Management Studio)

Monday, March 30, 2009 8:50 AM

All replies

• User1747761241 posted

sql server you get all the built in stuff on asp.net working out of the box linq grids with paging data designers all the cool stuff just works, asp.net authentication, everything works.

No the cool stuff just doesn't always work on the others.

Friday, March 27, 2009 8:13 AM
  • User-319574463 posted

Access is a very cost-effective prototyping system, however its use in a muti-user environment is potentially disaterous.

MySql is a possible contender as a DBMS, however when I last looked it was lagging behind other Oracle and SQL Server.

Oracle is robust but suffers from being pricey and its tools are slow to respond compared to the others.

SQL Server is also robust and provided your data will exceed 5Gb, the Express version is very reasonably priced - just your time to download it. (Please download the full version that includes the express version of SQL Server Management Studio)

Monday, March 30, 2009 8:50 AM
  • User-1208161056 posted

i also prefer MySQL, basing to its capacity... its has infinity to store data, not like other DBMS that you've mention...

Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:05 PM