Azure File Sync - unable to uninstall agent RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all

I am unable to uninstall the AFS Agent (9.1) from a Windows Server 2016 VM.

Error is 2502 and 2503.

Is there a way (script?) to forcibly remove the agent? 

I tried a 'repair' and a 'remove' from re-running the Agent MSI installer but got the same error messages.

thx

K

Thursday, May 7, 2020 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi, I had to grant myself full rights to the C:\Windows\Temp folder for the uninstall to succeed. 
    • Marked as answer by Kazza87 Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:10 AM

All replies

• Kazza87

Based on the error message the service is running can please stop the service and try to un-install the Agent" Check in Task Manager" Service Tab" If any service is dependent. 

If possible can you restart the Windows Server 2016  and try to un-install the Agent. I was able un-install the agent in my lab,. If the issue still persist, Please share the screenshot. 

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue. 
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members

Friday, May 8, 2020 3:45 PM
  • Thank you for the response!

I stopped the FileSyncSvc but still could not uninstall.

The errors in the log are:

Doing action: HFS_InstallMode_uninstall

Product: Storage Sync Agent -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2503. The arguments are: , ,

Return value 3. 

ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE 1603 3

A fatal error.

Product: Storage Sync Agent -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2502. The arguments are: , ,

No System Restore sequence number for this installation.

Note: User SYSTEM has full rights to C:\

• Edited by Kazza87 Friday, May 8, 2020 7:10 PM
    Friday, May 8, 2020 6:43 PM
  • Apologies for the delay! Could you please send an email to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread and your Azure subscription ID, we would like to work closer with you on this matter.

Thank you for your cooperation on this matter and look forward to your reply.

Friday, May 15, 2020 6:37 AM
  • Just checking in if you have had a chance to see the previous response. We need the previously asked information to understand/investigate this issue further.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community member

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:13 PM
  • Just checking in if you have had a chance to see the previous response. We need the previously asked information to understand/investigate this issue further.

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community member

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:58 AM
  • Hi, I had to grant myself full rights to the C:\Windows\Temp folder for the uninstall to succeed. 
    • Marked as answer by Kazza87 Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:10 AM