NFC Data Communication

Question

• I'm trying to learn more about the new NFC features ( concept and APIs ) for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

Is it possible to constantly communicate between ( without having to constantly tapping ) two NFC enabled devices with only NFC and not have to use the other methods ( Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc. )?

I could see a scenario where you may only have NFC.  I understand you would need the devices close together, but is the concept of NFC only for tap and go.

I could see this as a replacement for some situations that we would usually use the USB serial port for data transfer.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:22 AM

All replies

• I don't think there are any typical scenarios where you would have NFC but not Wi-Fi or Bluetooth or similar.

The NFC connection itself is low bandwidth and is only used for short bursts, but you can use NFC to set up a peer connection via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Direct, etc. so you can tap and send a file, start a game, etc. The PeerFinder class will set this up socket connection for you. This can definitely serve as a replacement for the USB or serial cable for data transfer.

See Supporting proximity and tapping for more information.

--Rob

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:11 AM
  • Thanks for reply Rob.

Since Win8 and Win Phone 8 is most likely not going to support Bluetooth Serial Port Profile ( SPP ), do you know if it will be easy to create a file with data ( that would usually be sent serially ) and send it to another device?  If so, do you know of links for me to view the Win 8 Bluetooth APIs?

Thanks again.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:25 AM