Bulk duplicative apps RRS feed

• Question

• I see a couple of instances of a disturbing pattern in the store. For example, in the Weather category, there at least 19 copies of the same app by the same publisher, each showing weather for a different country. I.e., something that should be a parameter within an app becomes a separate instance of the app with the parameter baked in.

This really junks up the store. Is this allowable?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:09 PM

All replies

• This is a huge problem . there was a recent blog at winappupdate that covered the junk app trend, and on his twitter feed he dropped the eye-popping suggestion that a small percentage of devs account for a huge percentage of the apps in the store.  some of the poster children for this have literally hundreds of apps which each vary from the others in only minor ways.  when I see these apps, it is clear to me that they could have been generated via script.

The effect of this sort of thing is going to be to discourage consumers from going to the windows store looking for software.  This will be especially true for Win8 desktop users, who have the choice to use traditional installs of apps, most of which are much more evolved than the cookie cutter crud flooding the windows store.  It will also discourage tablet device sales and it will discourage quality developers.

All of these apps arguably fail certification requirement 1.  19 copies of an app that differ in one detail must certainly fail this requirement.  Suppose I built a new app for every zip code in the US that gives only the details for the local post office.  An extreme example perhaps but not different in kind.

Microsoft has a vested interest in stopping this behavior and in actively punishing it, because it will destroy the store.  so far, MS is mum on the subject.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:40 PM
  • I am with you guys. In Books & Reference there are countless identical apps that only differ in content. I understand that Microsoft wants to showcase a large and active range of apps, but by allowing these low-quality, cookie-cutter apps, they really do a disservice to the rest of us and to their users.

Author of Alpaca Children's Story Books for Windows 8

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:39 PM
  • I see a couple of instances of a disturbing pattern in the store. For example, in the Weather category, there at least 19 copies of the same app by the same publisher, each showing weather for a different country. I.e., something that should be a parameter within an app becomes a separate instance of the app with the parameter baked in.

This really junks up the store. Is this allowable?

I figured this would happen. It's the same with traditional applications published to download.com, brothersoft etc. 

I suppose the review process involved with the Window 8 Store apps will slow things down and thanks for that. On the tradition sites the top sellers use automated tools to spam their PAD files claiming a "minor revision" every other day.

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:21 AM
  • Just look at the "Top Developers" section here: http://win8review.com/apps/

It's obvious that Microsoft knows about this problem. A developer with 300+ cookie-cutter apps can't go unnoticed. I just don't think they care about quality right now. They're more interested in padding the number of apps, which is really sad for those of us trying to create quality.

Author of Alpaca Children's Story Books for Windows 8

Friday, December 7, 2012 3:53 AM