Using the device emulator with VS.NET 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have issues with getting the existing VS.NET 2003 emulators to work but device emulator works fine as a standalone emulator.

Is it possible to use the device emulator with VS.NET 2003 so that it can directly be called (for connect/deploy ..etc) from the VS.NET 2003 IDE? 

Monday, March 27, 2006 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes - just use the Device Emulator Manager to cradle an emulator instance, then tell VS.NET 2003 to connect to a hardware device via ActiveSync.

Barry

Monday, March 27, 2006 6:52 PM
  • Thanks Barry.

I am not sure about such option in VS.NET 2003

I have only two available options in VS.NET 2003

1. Tools->Connect to device  which shows Pocket PC 2002 Emulator (Default) and Pocket PC Device. (I would like to configure it to get an an option to connect to Device Emulator) 

OR

2. Tools-> Connect Emulator using Activesync which shows - no pocket PC 2003 or Smartphone 2003 Emulators were found. (I would like to configure it to use the Device Emulator)

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 11:56 AM
  • Barry was talking about the new, ARM-based, emulator which comes with Visual Studio 2005 and is downloadable separately as 'Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0'. To use this in VS.NET 2003, run dvcemumanager.exe from (typically) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Device Emulator\1.0. Select the appropriate image - for the sake of example we'll use 'Pocket PC 2003 SE Emulator' - then choose Actions, Connect from the menu to start the image.

In ActiveSync, go to Connection Settings, and in the 'Allow connections to one of the following' drop-down select DMA. In Device Emulator Manager, keeping the running emulator selected, choose Actions, Cradle. ActiveSync should now connect (assuming you don't have a physical device already connected).

In VS.NET 2003, you can now connect to your emulator by selecting 'Pocket PC Device', just as you would for a physical device.

The VS.NET 2003 emulator is x86-based (using your PC's processor directly), based on technology from Virtual PC. They use a very old 'Virtual PC Application Switch' driver (I believe). XP SP2 disables this driver because it's believed to have problems with No Execute/Execute Disable/Data Execution Prevention (AMD/Intel/Microsoft terminology). If the driver is disabled, IIRC the VS.NET 2003 emulator no longer works.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:04 PM
  • Thanks Mike. you suggestion  works great !

I would appreciate if you could answer some more questions:

1. I am using the community preview edition of the emulator. Is it worth replacing that with the 'Microsoft Device Emulator 1.0' as suggested in your post? I think it should be  worth it but just need a second opinion.

2. Is it possible to to get XP SP2 to enable the 'Virtual PC Application Switch' driver so that I can use the existing VS.NET 2003 emulator.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

--Mehul

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:10 AM
  • 1.  Mike mis-spoke.  At this time, the community preview edition is the onle version available for download, and it is the "right" emulator to bve using.  We're close to releasing the VS2005 RTM version as a web download. 

2.  Please check out these KB articles:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883989 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891667/

Barry

Thursday, April 6, 2006 1:22 PM