3-tier Architecture - DAL, BAL, UI & Enterprise Lib 4.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to everyone,

I am going to implement desktop application with 3-tier architecture (DAL, BAL, UI) in .NET 3.5 and SQL Server 2008 as back-end. In that, i planning  use Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1. Is it preferable to use ?

Can anyone give me sample/generic structure of 3-tier application with Enterprise Library ? That give me brief description that How exactly 3 layer works with coding structure.

You can also suggest other practice if Enterprise Library is not preferable or some extraordinary stuff you have for 3-tier Samples.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 11:57 AM

All replies

• I've worked with enterprise library and I wouldn't use it again if I had the option.
    The only parts that offered any benefit were overweight bloaters.
    Too little benefit to justify.
    What benefit do you think it will offer you?

When you say desktop.
    You mean winforms or do you mean wpf?
    Is this internal only and 100% reliably connected?
    What sort of data throughput?

Size of teams and turnover?
    Do you need TDD or not?
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:33 PM
  • I think you should call it 3-layer application as tier mean physical partitioning.

I agree Enterprise library adds on unneccessary weight on the application. You can use entity framework, WCF to achieve this with 3.5 framework
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Hi,

Desktop and 3 tiers --oops, not an good idea. If you meant layered yes , its good have a layered architecture for better maintainabilty. You wlll be re-inventing the wheel if you are not using EL. IF you are not using then how are u planning to build the infra components , guess rebuild.

Please use EL and you will get better reuse and productivity benefits.

Regards
    Azhar

Mark as answer if this helps

Thanks and Regards Azhar Amir
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:48 AM
  • Thank you Azhar and other Repliers,

I am looking for Perfect 3-tier example with Enterprise Library.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Desktop and 3 tiers --oops, not an good idea. If you meant layered yes , its good have a layered architecture for better maintainabilty. You wlll be re-inventing the wheel if you are not using EL. IF you are not using then how are u planning to build the infra components , guess rebuild.

Regards
    Azhar

I wanna ask what is EL?
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

Regards
    Azhar

I wanna ask what is EL?

EL = Enterprise Library.

I think a lot of people think of the Data Access Block of EL when people say EL.  In fact there are many blocks available as part of EL that might be of use such as Caching, Logging, Validation, etc.  I do tend to agree with others here that there are often better choices for any of these outside of EL, but I wouldn't look past EL.  It really depends on what you're trying to do, but all of these blocks are good for some things.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Azhar,

I have developed a windows application using 3.5, there I used best architecture- presentation, business layer and database layer.

Let me explain the scenerio:

I have one windows application project, one windows communication foundation project under one solution. In the wcf project i have business logic and dal connected to the sql database.

Here DAL means i connected using entity framework 3.5 which is best way connected to database. It doesn't connects and compiles the query to server until and unless with out a request.

Why i used wcf, because of re-usability and to share the form across intranet. So i have deployed the windows application to web server so that any one can get the upgraded executable file using Click once facility .

my suggestion is that you can go with this process.

Bhargava Vangapally , Architect, Software Architectural Group.

[[KINDLY MARK AS ANSWER IF IT HELPS TO RESOLVE YOUR QUERY]]

• Proposed as answer by SUS8384 Friday, July 9, 2010 1:51 PM
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:02 AM