Bluetooth GPRS and PPP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am developing a console application that will allow me to connect to the internet using the GPRS network on a PDA phone. I am able to connect to the PDA DUN Bluetooth profile.

But the connection does not show up in the windows network connection. Neither does windows detect that a modem has been connected. But I am able to send AT commands through a virtual comm port to make phone calls to a fixed line.

I would like to dial *99# (this is the correct number from my service provider) to connect to the Internet, but I receive a no carrier error after sometimes. I suspect it is because the PPP link cannot be set up properly. But I have no idea how to setup the PPP on the virtual comm port that I am using.

I have tried installing a 56k modem at com 4 manually to fake the operating system. Then I manually create a dial up connection using the com 4. But after establishing the Bluetooth connection and using the dial up dialog box by windows to dial up to the internet using com 4, I am still unable to get the desired result.

Are there any advice on how I should have set up the PPP? Or is it wrong for me to try faking an installation of modem so that I can use PPP?

Thanks and regards.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

PSLoh wrote:
    I have tried installing a 56k modem at com 4 manually to fake the operating system. Then I manually create a dial up connection using the com 4.

What operating system does your device use? I'm uncertain from your description if you are using a Windows Mobile devicem and the emulator has no bluetooth functionality.

You might like to ask your question in the microsoft.public.pocketpc newsgroup as the newsgroup is more targeted for end user type questions on how to use the OS.

My guess is the answer to your question will depend upon which bluetooth stack your desktop PC is using.

Hope this helps,

Christopher Fairbairn

Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

PSLoh wrote:
    I have tried installing a 56k modem at com 4 manually to fake the operating system. Then I manually create a dial up connection using the com 4.

What operating system does your device use? I'm uncertain from your description if you are using a Windows Mobile devicem and the emulator has no bluetooth functionality.

You might like to ask your question in the microsoft.public.pocketpc newsgroup as the newsgroup is more targeted for end user type questions on how to use the OS.

My guess is the answer to your question will depend upon which bluetooth stack your desktop PC is using.

Hope this helps,

Christopher Fairbairn

Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:25 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I was using the ATcommand: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","APN" to set up my phone to use GPRS network and then ATDT*99#. I thought that by issuing these 2 commands to the phone, I would be able to instruct it to connect to my ISP and set up the PPP link between my phone and the laptop.

I am using the Bluetooth stack by StoneStreetOne and is able to connect to my phone through the DUN profile. I am able to make calls to my own fixed line at home. I learned from some forumers that the number *99# is actually a wrong number to dial, which I will have to find out also.

If I were to succeed in dialing to my ISP, are there any things (commands or code) that I need to set up the PPP link on my WinXP laptop?

Thanks and regards,
    PSLoh
    Monday, March 17, 2008 1:41 AM
  • This forum is smart device development related. Since your question is not related to smart device development, it's off topic here.

If you’re Windows Mobile user please post here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.aspx?siteid=65

If you’re having a hardware issue, please contact hardware manufacturer or reseller. If you having an issue with 3rd party software, please contact respective software manufacturer or reseller. Otherwise please post to relevant forum or news group:

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

Closing as off topic.

Hint: contact your cell carrier and/or ISP for support.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:15 AM