My Control Panel Apps is missing in the start metro menu...

Question

• In my Metro Start Menu of the Windows Developer Preview, there was a control panel apps, there was also the Windows Store apps, but now, both of them are missing and I don't know why ! How can I pin up them again in the start menu ??
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:18 PM

All replies

• I'm guessing you unpinned them from the Start screen. They are still available, but are just not "pinned" to the Start screen anymore. You can do either of the foll. to get to them:

1. Click the search charm (Move mouse to bottom left corner, click search OR slide in your finger from the right edge of the screen to show the charms)

2. Start typing in the Start screen to perform search ("settings", or "store" is the string you want to search for)

You can start the apps from here, or if you want to access them more frequently, you can pin them back to the Start screen. Select a tile by right clicking it or selecting it with your finger (tap and drag downwards) and click pin. They'll be available at the end of your list of apps on the Start screen thereafter.

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Yoyosoft is only one of many people having this issue, including me. It would seem that it is more than just unpinned. Before searching the web for a solution I tried searching for store or settings, and neither of these searches game me the results I was looking for (and yes, I did look for results under apps and settings.) It looks like the only other option might be to restore the OS but then there is the pain of reinstalling all the apps, so I hope we can find a better solution as to why these are suddenly missing.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Hi, did you use CCleaner before apps get missing? I think that kind of applications are causing this issue.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:46 PM
  • CCleaner is installed, but I wasn't brave enough to run it, however a fellow developer and friend might have, I'll have to ask. Anyway here is how I fixed it. I did a system restore, grabbed the shortcuts for control panel and store from C:/programdata/microsoft/windows/startmenu and after the system restore I also noticed that remote desktop was at the end of the start menu which means it was removed for me and probably others as well. So I grabbed that from the Accessories folder. Then I put them on a different partition, and hit undo for the system restore, since it was from a few days ago. After my system was back as I had it, I copied those shortcuts back and everything was fixed. I would include links to the shortcuts so others can fix their problem, but I'm not sure if Microsoft would be unhappy with that or not, any thoughts?

Just so others are clear, this is a developer preview. If you aren't a developer or in another similar role in the IT industry, then sure, you can download and install this, but it is foolish to expect it to work as well as say, Windows 7. I fully expect that as future builds and betas come out I will do new clean installs, that is something that anyone using this should expect, but I was annoyed that I just installed it, and was hoping to use it for a few days or weeks before looking at doing a clean install. I think it is wise for anyone using this to approach using this build as something that will be temporary, I wouldn't invest much time or energy into using it as a sustainable work/play environment.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:22 PM