Issue debugging classic asp in VS2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have been successfully debugging classic ASP web site in VS2013, until yesterday when I can no longer attach to the process w3wp.exe, get the message 'Unable to attach to the process.....'.  Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling VS, resetting all my settings in the Import Export wizard etc.  Any pointers gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Laurence

Thursday, June 4, 2015 10:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Caprisoft,

Since this forum is to discuss the VS IDE, just to make this issue clearly, could you run your app well with "Start without debugging"? Whether all web sites have the same issue?

If it doesn't work when you run it without debugging, I doubt that it is not the debugger tool issue. Or just the one web site has this issue, I feel that it would be the project issue. Maybe this forum would be better for you:

http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx/7?General+ASP+NET

But if all web sites have the same issue:

1. Please run your VS as the admin.

2.Please also select the correct attach option in the Attach process windows.

See the detailed steps here:

http://weblogs.asp.net/dixin/debugging-classic-asp-with-visual-studio-2013

3. Please also debug your app in other VS machine, so we could make sure that whether it is your VS setup issue.

Reference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28583083/issue-with-debugging-classic-asp-from-visual-studio-2013-and-iis-express

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 5, 2015 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

Did all the above, runs fine on a colleagues machine, but I do not work in the office so unable to log onto someone else's machine to try it out.  Might be going to office next week, if so will try it there

Laurence

Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:46 PM
  • We look forward to hearing from you, Laurence! If you get any latest informaiton, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, June 12, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Fixed the problem by installing VS2015RC and then trying VS2013 again.  I can only assume a common library somewhere got corrupted and installing the later version of VS overwrote the offending file.

Many Thanks

Laurence

• Marked as answer by Caprisoft Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:00 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Caprisoft Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:27 AM
    Saturday, June 13, 2015 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

Some windows updates ran, problem back again.  Unfortunately I have no control over what updates are installed, controlled centrally. Is there any information on which shared components could be causing the problem, tried replacing pdm.dll but that did not fix it

Laurence

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:30 AM
  • Hi Laurence,

>>Some windows updates ran, problem back again.  Unfortunately I have no control over what updates are installed, controlled centrally.

If it generated this issue after you run the window updates, I'm afraid that I have no the directly solution for this issue, but if you want to visit all the latest updates, you could check them in your control panel, and then check the update with date time. So you could know that when the updates were installed, and then you could compare your with other members' machines which worked well. Maybe you could get useful information.

In addition, what is your windows Environment? Generally we install the VS from the old version to the new version, please also install the VS2013 update 4.

If still no help, to really repro this issue, please share me a simple sample with one drive, I will debug it in my side. 

Best Regards,

Jack 

Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:30 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for offer, but the company have now downgraded my laptop to windows 7, so just reinstalling everything and will then see what happens. 

Many Thanks

Laurence

Friday, June 19, 2015 9:39 AM
  • Hi Laurence,

Thanks for your reply.

You mean that you will try to re-install the Windows 7 OS environment on your laptop and then check this issue, am I right?

If yes, I suggest you could share me latest message after you re-reinstall the Windows 7 on your laptop so that we will be better help you.

Thanks,

Monday, June 22, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Hi Tina,

Yes that is correct, have had Windows 7 installed on my laptop instead of Windows 8.1, will take a while to get everything else reinstalled, but will report back what happens once that is done

Many Thanks

Laurence

Monday, June 22, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Hi Laurence,

We look forward to hearing from you, if you get any latest information, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day,

Jack

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Hi,

Moving to Windows 7 seems to have fixed the problem for the moment, will let you know if that is not the case

Laurence

Monday, July 6, 2015 8:20 PM