none
Surface Pro 4, Surface Book or A.N.Other for Visual Studio Development

General discussion

• Hi All

I've been using my Surface Pro 3 (i7) for just over a year now, and found it ok.

However, since splurging out on DevExpress I've been very underwhelmed with the performance, and spend half my life looking at Visual Studio 2015 locked up and not responding when I'm in design view.

Clearly I'm going to have to buy a new machine that is capable of basic VS development.

What I'd like to know is what your guys think...

I've no doubt that some of you have already tried out either the Pro 4 and/or Book - what do you think? Worth considering or should I just bite the bullet and go back to desktop for my development (I really want to keep developing in the garden on nice days, but the Pro 3 is doing nothing for my blood pressure!).

Any thoughts?

Niki

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:16 PM

All replies

• You can try using remote desktop for Visual Studio.

When I was in high school I only have only a low power AMD APU laptop. Back then it was Visual Studio 2012 and if I run it locally on my laptop, I even need to wait for intellisense suggestion to show up. Needless to say the XAML designer.

So, I used my school's wifi and a VPS. The latency is around 100ms but stable. Bandwidth is about 10Mbps max. Remote desktop performed pretty well that you can hardly notice you are coding remotely.

I even tried with 3G when there wasn't wifi coverage and it was still acceptable.

If the garden you mentioned is the kind that's in the back of your house you can easily setup a high speed wifi(preferably 802.11 ac) and connect to your PC using remote desktop. Doing so can also reduce the burden on syncing source codes between your surface and desktop.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 11:41 AM