none
No XAML design panel in VS2015 or Blend

Question

• LS,

Problem:

I created a Blank App (Universal Windows) (new project/Windows/Universal). And when I open the xaml page (so projectname.xaml) I do not see the designer. If I open Blend, and in Blend I open this page, than I still do not see the designer. I only see the xaml code.  And as I am not a fan of hard coding xaml, I really like to have my designer (especially in Blend).

Explanation:

I am trying to create an application for a Raspberry Pi 3. I setup Windows 10 IOT (to get this done I used the same computer that has VS2015). I installed Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586.15).

In my project's properties Min version is 10240, which I changed to 10586 (this had no effect) and the target version is 10586 (i can not change this to 10240 as this version is not installed on my PC.

Things that were installed to get this IOT working:

Windows 10 IOT Core for Raspberry Pi 2: 10.1.14279.1000 (works on my Raspberry Pi 3)

Windows SDK ADDOn: 10.1.0.0

Application insight tools for VS 2015: 4.3.60226.3

MS Visual Studio Professional 2015 with Update 1: 14.0.24720.1

Windows software development kit - Windows: 10.1.10586.15

Windows 10 IOT core dashboard: 1.0.1602.16001

I hope that someone can help me, it seems that not many people encountered this problem.

Strange:

As mentioned I changed my min version in properties to 10586. When I ran the app I now got an error:

Severity

Code

Description

Project

File

Line

Suppression State

Error

Error : DEP3321 : To deploy this application, your deployment target should be running Windows Universal Runtime version 10.0.10586.0 or higher. You currently are running version 10.0.10240.16384. Please update your OS, or change your deployment target to a device with the appropriate version.

TestApp1

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?????? 10.0.10586 is the version I installed and 10.0.10240 is a version that is not installed (it doesn't show anywhere in Configscreen/Software and programs) ???

Right now I have no idea how to solve this. Changing the min version back to 10240, means I can run the app, but still no designer?? For people with the same problem: I noticed that Sharp Develop ( I have version 4.4 installed to convert VB code to C#), does show a designer, but I would much rather have Visual Studio showing me the designer.

Kind regards,

Clemens Linders

Friday, March 18, 2016 8:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Clemens Linders,

>>Error : DEP3321 : To deploy this application, your deployment target should be running Windows Universal Runtime version 10.0.10586.0 or higher. You currently are running version 10.0.10240.16384. Please update your OS, or change your deployment target to a device with the appropriate version

Do you run it in your local Emulator or phone or others? Please run it locally.

Maybe you could check your project file:

1) Right click your project in Visual Studio solution explorer windows.

2) Select Unload Project, it will appears as Project(unavailable).

3) Right click on the unloaded project and select “Edit xxx.xxproj

4) Locate the <TargetPlatformVersion> and <TargetPlatformMinVersion> items in the first <PropertyGroup>.

And then change it manually, how about the result?

If still no help, I suggest you update your windows 10 to the latest version, re-download the VS ISO file, re-install it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Clemens_Linders,

This forum is about the C# programming language, IDE, libraries, samples, and tools, as your issue is more related to the Visual Studio itself, we help you move it to the Visual Studio General Questions forum for better support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Albert Zhang

<p>We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. <br/> Click <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&theme=tech"> HERE</a> to participate the survey.</p>

Monday, March 21, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Hi Clemens Linders,

>>Error : DEP3321 : To deploy this application, your deployment target should be running Windows Universal Runtime version 10.0.10586.0 or higher. You currently are running version 10.0.10240.16384. Please update your OS, or change your deployment target to a device with the appropriate version

Do you run it in your local Emulator or phone or others? Please run it locally.

Maybe you could check your project file:

1) Right click your project in Visual Studio solution explorer windows.

2) Select Unload Project, it will appears as Project(unavailable).

3) Right click on the unloaded project and select “Edit xxx.xxproj

4) Locate the <TargetPlatformVersion> and <TargetPlatformMinVersion> items in the first <PropertyGroup>.

And then change it manually, how about the result?

If still no help, I suggest you update your windows 10 to the latest version, re-download the VS ISO file, re-install it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 11:50 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I did as you mentioned and after I changed both platform versions to the lower version number. And I reloaded the project in the solution. It said that this version wasn't installed (which is correct), than it downloaded this version and hip hip hoeray, it works. I now have a desgigner.

Thanks Jack

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Glad to know that it works well, Clemens:)

Since this issue has been resolved, if possible, please mark the useful reply as the answer, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours, and I could close this case for you.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:25 AM