none
wdm filter driver interact with win32 console application RRS feed

• Question

• I want to develop a program to limit access to u-disk with password. at present, I have two ideas.

1.after the user plugs in the u-disk, the filter driver call the console app to require the password.

2.after the user plugs in the u-disk, nothing happens. The user has to open the console app, input the password, and use the u-disk.

can anyone tell me which way is easier, and use what technique or mechanism to do it? thanks!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:53 PM

All replies

• either way works, but there is no way for a driver to pop up a console (or any other type of) application. typically for #1 you have an always running user agent running in the background that is not displaying ui, listens for a device arrival notification, listens for something from your filter (WMI, a pended io, etc) and shows ui when needed. choice #2 is less complex, but requires the user to know what to do a priori

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 5:06 PM
  • I developed a lowerfilter attached to usb controller to filter irp_mj_internal_device_control to disable u-disk. as you instructed above, there is a user mode application always running. after the user input the correct password, what should the application do to the filterdriver? remove the filter driver or change some parameters? and how to refresh the system to enable the u-disk without plugging out and in the u-disk? thanks for your instruction!
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 2:48 AM
  • once the password is entered, the filter becomes pass through. there is no way to remove the filter from the stack without restarting it. you should also consider an FS minifilter, it is a bit simpler and you get file level semantics, not block level semantics

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:31 AM