none
How to install "ONLY".net 3.5 sp1 on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question on the .net framework 3.5 installation process.

I have a Vista machine with SP1 (so this will already have 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2. Right?

Now i only just want to install .net framework 3.5 SP1 on Vista.
    I have downloaded the dotnetfx35.exe full standalong package from the msdn website. This is a 231 MB file.

When i  just run this "dotnetfx35.exe /q /norestart" It works fine on Vista and in the control panel i can see the DotnetFramework 3.5 SP1 in the list of installed programs.

But the only problem is this step takes around 30 minutes.

I thought that installing only the required components might reduce the time and so i followed the instructions given in the page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160716.aspx#appendix

<quotefromthepage>
    Example 1

The following table lists the files that you must include in your setup media layout in order to deploy to Windows XP and Vista. The file list assumes that users are installing only the x86 version, and that users have installed Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 (Windows XP and Windows Server 2003) or the cumulative update (Windows Vista).

Path

File name

Platform

OS

Description

dotNetFx35setup.exe

All

All

.NET Framework 3.5 setup bootstrapper

dotNetFX35\x86

netfx35_x86.exe

x86

XP, W2K3, Vista, W2K8

3.5 components

</quotefromthepage>

And then i run the command  "dotNetFx35setup.exe /q /norestart" with the above mentioned folder hierarchy. Now it just tries to connect to the internet to download files (it does not say what files it tries to download, but i very much suspect it tries to download 2.0 files).

Any idea why is this so? And how can i overcome this?
    All i really want to do is to just install .net framework 3.5 sp1 (given that i already have till 3.0 sp2).
    This again is to fundamentally reduce the installation time.

Please let me know any comments you have. 

thanks
    Santhosh

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Santhosh,

Windows Vista SP1 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 as OS components. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2.
    If .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is to be installed on your machine, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 will be installed.

dotNetFx35setup.exe is .NET Framework 3.5 bootstrapper. The bootstrapper will automatically detect, download and install only the required components for the user. So when you tried running it, it tried connecting to the Internet and download files which are required for your machine. So you noticed that it tried downloading .NET Framework 2.0 files.
    For dotnetfx35.exe, it is the stand-alone executable file that contains all required components to deploy to the platforms on all supporting OS. So users do not need to download any files from the Internet during setup.
    Based on my knowledge, installing the stand-alone executable file can help you to save more time than the bootstrapper. I suggest you to install the full stand-alone package.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, March 23, 2009 2:42 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Santhosh,

Windows Vista SP1 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 as OS components. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2.
    If .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is to be installed on your machine, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 will be installed.

dotNetFx35setup.exe is .NET Framework 3.5 bootstrapper. The bootstrapper will automatically detect, download and install only the required components for the user. So when you tried running it, it tried connecting to the Internet and download files which are required for your machine. So you noticed that it tried downloading .NET Framework 2.0 files.
    For dotnetfx35.exe, it is the stand-alone executable file that contains all required components to deploy to the platforms on all supporting OS. So users do not need to download any files from the Internet during setup.
    Based on my knowledge, installing the stand-alone executable file can help you to save more time than the bootstrapper. I suggest you to install the full stand-alone package.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, March 23, 2009 2:42 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Thanks YiChun for your response!
    But is 30 mins for .NET 3.5 SP1 on a CoreDuo system (2.33 Ghz) with 2 GB RAM "normal".. Or is it slow?

Thanks
    Santhosh
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:37 PM