Latest Google Chrome update becomes unresponsive when binding data in DropDownList RRS feed

• Question

• User1577504422 posted

Good Day Everyone,

Does anyone has the same kind of issue with latest Google Chrome update Version 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)?

My users keep on complaining the page keeps being unresponsive. I checked and found this happens when binding data in DropDownList (datas are retrieved from database)

If yes, please kindly share your solutions.

Thank you

Thursday, March 25, 2021 9:31 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

Databinding happens on the server not the browser. How many records are in the dropdown list?  Is the dropdown list in a data bound control?  Does the page take a long time to load?  Try using Chrome's dev tool to figure if there is a bottle neck or error.

Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:29 AM
  • User1577504422 posted

Found that all dropdown consists of many data (some are not even more than hundreds).. This wasnt an issue until the latest update last week.

Some of it are in databound control but some are not.

Yes, it takes so much time to load until it becomes unresponsive.

I have use Chrome Dev Tool, but whenever I clicked on dropdowns, chrome will load so slow and end up being unresponsive after some time, had to wait or kill the page.

Thursday, March 25, 2021 11:39 AM
  • User409696431 posted

What is the use of dropdowns with so many values?  That is not a user-friendly design.  You may want to rethink how you are selecting/filtering the data.  This doesn't answer why a Chrome update would change its response, but a change in design would solve the issue.

Tuesday, March 30, 2021 2:06 PM
  • User1577504422 posted

What is the use of dropdowns with so many values?  That is not a user-friendly design.  You may want to rethink how you are selecting/filtering the data.  This doesn't answer why a Chrome update would change its response, but a change in design would solve the issue.

That is what the previous programmer did and that is the only way I know now.. Do you mind to share what are the other way of giving user to select one from multiple values, so that I will be able to explore more?

I would really appreciate.

Tuesday, March 30, 2021 2:21 PM
  • User475983607 posted

There are many ways to increase throughput.  The first step is finding the bottleneck(s) in the design.  You are in the best position to troubleshoot since you can reproduce the issue.  Once you find the bottlenecks then you can work on how to improve the performance.  Until you find the exact cause(s) it is near impossible to provide meaningful guidance. . 

Caching the dropdown items might be an option if the code does many table queries to populate dropdowns.  As mentioned above, having 100s of options in a dropdown is not user friendly.  Maybe there is a way to filter unnecessary data?  Again, you are in the best position to find a solution as you know how the code works.

Tuesday, March 30, 2021 3:14 PM
  • User409696431 posted

"That is what the previous programmer did and that is the only way I know now.. Do you mind to share what are the other way of giving user to select one from multiple values, so that I will be able to explore more?

I would really appreciate."

How to do it depends on the nature of the records in the dropdownlist.  If those items have other attributes other than just their name in the list, let the user narrow down the list before binding the dropdown.   Example: A list of all screws for sale in a hardware store can first be filtered by type of screw, material, thread, size range, etc..   If the list items have no attributes other than their name, you may need to have users limit the search alphabetically, picking a starting letter and displaying only those choices that begin with that letter.

The main idea is to have users give you parameters so you can modify the query string to return only items that meet those parameters in the dropdownlist.   A dropdownllist is suited only for a list short enough that users can easily scan it and select an item.

Tuesday, March 30, 2021 5:56 PM