none
vbscript - Error unsupported 16 bit - application RRS feed

• Question

• vbscript and 16 bit error

My vbscript so far had never a problem. And then suddenly (suspect windows updates) i had  a problem launching a simple vbscript that exectutes a external command in hidden mode on some computer running windows 7 64 bit.

I simple execute a batch file in hidden mode with the following vbscript hidden.vbs:

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run """" & WScript.Arguments(0) & """", 0, False

i launch: q:\bin\sgv\onlogin\hidden.vbs q:\bin\sgv\onlogin\onlogin.cmd

The script give me the error (german)

"Nicht unterstützte 16 bit - Anwendung
    Das Programm bzw. die Funktion "\??c:\windows\system32\wscript.exe" kann aufgrund einer Inkompatibilität mit 64 Bit-Versionen von Windows nicht gestartet ... werden"

Translating in english:

unsupported 16 bit - app
    the program or function \\??c:\windows\system32\wscript.exe can't be executed ... because of incompatibility with 64-bit versions

Any idea ?

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, June 30, 2014 5:22 PM Off-topic
    Friday, February 7, 2014 12:46 PM

All replies

• It probably depends on what is inside "onlogin.cmd".
    Friday, February 7, 2014 1:32 PM
  • Thank for the response, no that isn't the case

I tested  that yet and changed the content with a simple "ping -n 10 localhost"
    It gave me the same error. In some way the scripting host is corrupted and has to rebuild.

c:\windows\system32\wscript.exe has the same size as on a system where the script is going through correctly.

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:07 PM
  • The WSCRIPT.EXE program has been hacked and replaced with a 16 bit version of the program. 16 bit programs cannot be run on modern Windows.  Either you have a corrupted system or your system has become infected.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, February 7, 2014 3:02 PM