How to configure 'SharePoint Drafts'.... RRS feed

• Question

• I am checking out from Firefox.

I do not see a SharePoint Drafts folder on my PC.  When I check out a documents it is no where on my pc.

Is there a service or configuration in SP to turn on so check out automatically creates and checks out to "SharePoint Drafts"?

Monday, January 30, 2012 3:49 PM

All replies

• you cannot configure where to store the drafts. They are either stored on the SharePoint Server or in users My Documents\Sharepoint Drafts

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:02 PM
  • My question is 'what do I need to do to get SP to store in 'SharePOint Drafts'?

Right now it is not doing it.

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:06 PM
  • 1. The Sharepoints draft folder will not appear until after the first time an item is checked out as a draft from a document library in sharepoint.
    2. The drafts feature is not enabled by default when a library is created. To enable this on a particular library follow these steps:
    i. Open the library you want to enable drafts in.
    ii. Click on the setting drop down tab, then click on Document library settings.
    iii. Under the 'General Settings' column click on 'Versioning Settings'
    iv. Under the 'Document Version History click the radio button that says 'Create major and minor (draft) versions'
    v. click 'OK' to save the changes.

Now, when you check out the item a pop up will appear that asks if you want to work from your local drafts folder, which is set as the 'Sharepoint Drafts' folder in the users My Documents folder. Other wise, you have to check out the document, save it locally, edit it, and check it back in.

Also, you need to have a component of Office 2007 on your client machine. This is what provides the integration for the draft folder. As it happens, installing Sharepoint Designer (which is a free download) will enable this integration.
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Also, you need to have a component of Office 2007 on your client machine. This is what provides the integration for the draft folder. As it happens, installing Sharepoint Designer (which is a free download) will enable this integration.

We are using office 2010

I already completed all the steps above in the library config but still see no DRAFTS folder.

Please explain what component of office 2007 is needed?

Also, I installed SharePoint Designer already. Is there something I need to do to configure it?  I still see no DRAFTS folder.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:05 PM
  • The 'SharePoint Drafts' folder is classed as a system folder.  As a result default Windows Explorer settings mean it may be hidden from view.  To be able to view system files and folders in Windows 7:

1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Select 'Organize' (top left)
    3. Select 'Folder and search options'
    4. Select the 'View' tab
    5. Untick the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".
    6. Click OK.

Please note, if you are not completely sure why these files and folders are hidden by default then I would suggest you stick with the operating system recommendation of keeping system files and folders hidden.  Modifications to these files and folders can lead to applications not working properly or, worst case scenario, your operating system failing.

HTH

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:49 AM