Nothing but a Black Screen RRS feed

• Question

• User369626 posted

Running VS 2017 Community on a Win 7 Home Premium 32Bit 2 GB Laptop C# | Android | Blank App (Android) | App03 I make no changes to the VS furnished code. I try Build | Build Solution - - - Build Succeeded I try the AndroidAcceleratedx86_Nougat(Android 7.1 – API25) Green Arrow The Android Emulator Nougat:5554 does appear on the screen - No Text is shown on its black screen. *And there were deployment errors* What should I do to remove deployment errors ? Bob

Monday, June 11, 2018 11:58 PM

Answers

• User367416 posted

Did you say 2 GB Laptop? If so, you need 8 - 16 GB RAM.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:49 AM

All replies

• User236903 posted

What errors? I think that win7 and vs 2017 doesnt co operate very good at all.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 5:34 AM
  • User369626 posted

I'm trying to follow docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/xaml/xaml-basics/get-started-with-xaml?tabs=vswin Starting App04XAML a Cross-Platform MobileAppXamarinForms Android .NET Standard Let’s Build and View using the Emulator. VS reports zero errors. The emulator screen appears but remains totally black (ie no text is shown)
    No clue as to what to do since I can't get the first step of the tutorial to work. Please advise.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:12 PM
  • User21936 posted

@srfpala

Are their any error messages shown in the "Deploying to Device" pane or the "Output" pane?

Can you post your version info? In Visual Studio 2017 (Windows), version information can be copied from: Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio -> Copy Info button.

It may also help to see your Android SDK version info, but unfortunately there is not an easy way to collect this. Best is to give screen shots of the Android SDK Manager (open with Tools > Android > Androi SDK Manager). Once open, select the Tools tab and expand the Android SDK Tools section and the Android SDK Build Tools section. Also enlarge the window to show as much as possible and take a screenshot, e.g.:

It also might not be a bad idea to get a screenshot of your Android Device Manager (open with Tools > Android > Android Device Manager).

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:51 PM
  • User369626 posted

To JGoldberger Thanks for your attention. Cannot post images here - too new! Image is posted through this link n2006b.com/diag/

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:45 PM
  • User21936 posted

@srfpala

OK, well you have a mishmash of versions there. You are on an old build of VS 2017 (15.6.0), current is 15.7.3.

But in your Android SDK Manager, you have a version of the Android SDK PLatform tools (28.0), whereas my install has 27.0.1 and I am not being offered any updates, so you would seem to have a pre-release version of the build tools.

Your Android SDK Build Tools are old (25.0.3), current is 27.0.3

This mishmash of old and new versions may be the root cause.

Do you have Android Studio installed as well? Sometimes having Android Studio installed can cause some conflicts as you may have more than one Android SDK on your system. What I might recommend is starting your install over by uninstalling Android Studio (if installed) and Visual Studio and any Android SDKs you have installed.

Follow this guide to uninstall Xamarin: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/cross-platform/get-started/installation/uninstalling-xamarin

Then you at least want to update Visual Studio, or for good measure you can just uninstall Visual Studio as well and reinstall the latest version.

Also uninstall and Android SDKs that you have on your system. Just search the file system for "android-sdk" and delete all "android-sdk" folders.

Once uninstalled, you can reinstall my using the Visual Studio Installer and installing the Xamarin workload again.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 10:17 PM
  • User367416 posted

Did you say 2 GB Laptop? If so, you need 8 - 16 GB RAM.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 7:49 AM