Using DLLs RRS feed

• Question

• I REALLY need help using the AutoIt3X dll in my VB project. I tried to use the help files, but i got no where. I basically want to use the AutoIt functions in my VB project. I need step by step help and maybe a little explanation, to get started. Im desperate for some GOOD help.
    Thanx

Da-Mastah
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:06 PM

Answers

• The Add Reference thing doesn't appear in code, but I'll walk you through it.
    From the menu bar at the top:
    Project>Add Reference...
    click Browse
    Find the DLL

Then, in your code file, you'll need to add a line above the "Public Class" part that says:

Imports Auto-something (when you type "Auto", by then it should say what it is in Intellisense. If not, look at the right side of Visual Studio and look for a folder marked References. Open that and see if you recognize the DLL name)

After that, you'll be able to use the code from that DLL, such as Classes and Subs, in your own code.
    • Marked as answer by Da-Mastah Friday, August 15, 2008 8:08 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2008 8:05 PM

All replies

• What sort of help do you need?  Have you added that DLL as a reference?
    Thanks, Corey Furman
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I really didn't do anything because i dont know how to use Dll's. 

Da-Mastah
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Well, it looks like it is a com component...  Just add a reference to the library to your project (should be under add reference->com) .  When you do that, a RCW will be generated for you, and you should then be able to use the objects in the library (you'll need the documentation for this :))

HTH
    Tom Shelton
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:15 PM
  • In visual studio, right click your project, then click "Add Reference".  That will bring up a dialog box.  depending on what kind of DLL it is you can include it via one of the tabs and selecting it.  Once you get done with that, you will probably want to add an "Imports ..." statement at the top of the classes that will consume the DLL, although that isn't strictly needed.

Good luck.
    Thanks, Corey Furman
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:16 PM
  • Can I get some code examples? Some of these terms are confusing to me because I havnt worked with those statements before.

Da-Mastah
    Friday, August 15, 2008 8:02 PM
  • The Add Reference thing doesn't appear in code, but I'll walk you through it.
    From the menu bar at the top:
    Project>Add Reference...
    click Browse
    Find the DLL

Then, in your code file, you'll need to add a line above the "Public Class" part that says:

Imports Auto-something (when you type "Auto", by then it should say what it is in Intellisense. If not, look at the right side of Visual Studio and look for a folder marked References. Open that and see if you recognize the DLL name)

After that, you'll be able to use the code from that DLL, such as Classes and Subs, in your own code.
    • Marked as answer by Da-Mastah Friday, August 15, 2008 8:08 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Thanx Katana. I'll look at it.

Da-Mastah
    Friday, August 15, 2008 8:07 PM