Surface tablet keyboard disappears RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 8 app that solves math problems. It is written in Javascript and uses the split app template. It consists of textboxes and input forms that allow a user to inter a value and click submit to see the answer. This works fine on my desktop. I just received a comment and realized a bug that if the user is using a tablet and is in snap view, the keyboard will pop up and disappear instantly when clicking a textbox making entering values impossible. I realized that if I use an onblur event on the page, it will trigger a function when clicking an input field.  This leads me to the possible solution of manually evoking the keyboard through that function. Any suggestions on why this happens or how I could manually control the keyboard myself?

tanner cypret

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:32 PM

All replies

• The blur event ("onblur") means that the control is losing focus. The keyboard will dismiss when the focus moves to non-text fields (with some exceptions not relevant here). You should figure out why focus is moving (for instance, are you calling focus or setActive on another element?). You probably don't want it to.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Yeah you’re right about the losing focus as the issue. It appears to be that way by default since I can create a new split app and add a textbox into the article content and it will do the same thing without any of my code. This only happens in snap view or while in a different orientation other than landscape while using a tablet. Basically if the item list isn’t visible so that you must use a back button to change the content, then the keyboard will not work on that page. I can’t figure out what changes focus while in a different orientation/snap view. Very strange.

tanner cypret

Friday, May 3, 2013 1:28 AM