Information in Metro Screen

Question

• Hi,

Now we are planning to get some information in Metro UI. For example, in Metro screen (lots of tiles), user drags one tile from one place to another. Or user would like to close an (any)application. Is there any way we can receive this kind of information in Metro screen?

Besides, in traditional Win32 desktop, we usually write a service to receive information.

However, as I know, there is no service in Metro screen. Is there any way that I can implement a "service in Metro" ??

Thanks for your response in advance.

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:19 AM

Answers

• It's not possible to write a service in Metro nor is it possible to obtain any information about how the user chooses to arrange their tiles. This is a deliberate design decision to ensure the user is always in control of having things the way they'd like without having to worry about applications trying to prevent them from hiding or moving tiles they don't want to see.

It would be theoretically possible for an ordinary desktop application on non-ARM systems to monitor the running processes to see that a Metro app has been closed, but there wouldn't be any way to differentiate between one the user closes and one which the OS has shut in order to reclaim resources. There really isn't much benefit in trying to do this anyway, so I'd recommend against it unless you have some sort of extremely specific use case scenario.

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:37 AM