none
Upgrading .Net on Win. Server 2012 R2 from 4.0 to 4.52 or 4.6 RRS feed

• Question

• I need to upgrade the .net framework on a production server (win 2012 R2) and am very concerned about potential problems.

This server hosts sql server 2014 and asp.net web sites used for WCF applications and Silverlight applications using WCF.

My needs are to upgrade to at lease to 4.5, however, when I look at a matrix of what versions of .net can be installed on:

.NET Framework Versions and Dependencies

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049(v=vs.110).aspx

I see that it doesn't say that 4.5 can be installed on 2012 R2 (only 2012).  Am I reading this correctly or can 4.5 be installed on 2012 R2?

I see a lot of posts dated in July 2015 saying not to install 4.6 yet as there are bugs, but I didn't see confirmation that its OK by now.

So I have a few questions:

1) is it OK to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5 on win server 2012 R2?

and

2) what is the safest version to upgrade to?  4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 or 4.6

Any comments and advice would be great.  Thanks.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hi moondaddy,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Question 1:

>>1) is it OK to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5 on win server 2012 R2?

.NET Framework 4.5 Supported Windows Server 2012 (included with OS)

according to Microsoft

So you you couldn't  install .NET Framework 4.5 from other way, but by going to Control Panel->Turn Windows features on or off, enable .NET Framework 4.5

Question 2:

>>2) what is the safest version to upgrade to?  4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 or 4.6

Besides turn on .NET Framework 4.5 , you may also install .NET Framework 4.6. Because 4.6 is a highly compatible, in-place update to Microsoft .NET Framework 4, 4.5,  4.5.1 and 4.5.2.

Best Regards,

Wen Xu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by moondaddy Friday, November 27, 2015 3:08 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:13 AM
  • Hi moondaddy,

It's totally ok and safe to install 4.6 on  win server 2012 R2.

Best Regards,

Wen

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by moondaddy Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:28 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi moondaddy,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Question 1:

>>1) is it OK to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5 on win server 2012 R2?

.NET Framework 4.5 Supported Windows Server 2012 (included with OS)

according to Microsoft

So you you couldn't  install .NET Framework 4.5 from other way, but by going to Control Panel->Turn Windows features on or off, enable .NET Framework 4.5

Question 2:

>>2) what is the safest version to upgrade to?  4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 or 4.6

Besides turn on .NET Framework 4.5 , you may also install .NET Framework 4.6. Because 4.6 is a highly compatible, in-place update to Microsoft .NET Framework 4, 4.5,  4.5.1 and 4.5.2.

Best Regards,

Wen Xu

• Marked as answer by moondaddy Friday, November 27, 2015 3:08 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:13 AM
  • Hi Wen Xu.  Thank you for the response.  I didn't realize it was something you could just turn on.  in the matrix provided be MSDN in the link above, it doesn't specify that 4.5 is OK with 2012 R3.

The comment "Besides turn on .NET Framework 4.5 , you may also install .NET Framework 4.6." doesn't answer if the problems have been resolved and its safe to install.

Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:22 AM
  • Hi moondaddy,

It's totally ok and safe to install 4.6 on  win server 2012 R2.

Best Regards,

Wen

• Marked as answer by moondaddy Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:28 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Great.  Thank you.
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:28 AM
  • Hi moondaddy,

You are welcome. I'm glad to help you.

Happy Thanksgiving day:)

Best Regards,

Wen

Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:32 AM