Need to know about Application Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• User1052662409 posted

Hi all,

Actually I am about to start a web-application using c#, .net 3.5 and Sqlserver 2008.

I already know what is opps, 3-tier architecture etc.. (As I am a self taught man, whatever I know about MS Technologies).

I need to develop it in a proffesional manner, like what it should be used from MS technology. I never planned for an architecture before, yes I developed web application before, but never approach architecture and design patterns.

So I request to you, please guide me from where I should start so it'd be like a mannered web-application

Friday, February 8, 2013 4:14 AM

Answers

• User-525215917 posted

As a first thing I suggest you to read some books that also stop on architecture. My suggestion is Microsoft® .NET: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise (Pro-Developer) by Dino Esposito. You can also take some more complex and harder to read books (I'm sure somebody will recommend you some of these) but the one I suggested is good to get started. It's somewhere between theory and practice and it is good start to more complex books.

To get started I suggest you to start building some application and then also take a look at how other developers have built UI-s and data layers of their applications, how they have managed dependency injection and testability etc. Learn as you go. With no hands-on practice it's hard to make valid decisions.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:54 AM

All replies

• User-576912550 posted
    For Service Layer you can use WCF or Web API (if you want more control over HTTP). For UI I would suggest ASP.NET MVC framework.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 5:50 AM
  • User-545631939 posted

You might want to look up resources such as the 'Microsoft Application Architecture Guide v2' or 'Microsoft .NET - Architecting Applications for the Enterprise' by Dino Esposito and Andrea Saltarello and then decide what kind of architecture best fits your needs.

Who are the target users of your application? You might accordingly decide on the kind of user interface you may develop, the QoS requirements you want our application to fulfill, and so on.

Novice Kid

Friday, February 8, 2013 5:58 AM
  • User-972560101 posted

Using the factory pattern you can designed the architecture well and good.

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:01 AM
  • User-545631939 posted

However please be aware that there is no 'one size fits all' solution. Apply a pattern only if you feel it is applicable to your context. Maybe the Gurus on this forum (I am not one of them!) can help you better if you share more specifics of your application.

Novice Kid

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:20 AM
  • User-525215917 posted

As a first thing I suggest you to read some books that also stop on architecture. My suggestion is Microsoft® .NET: Architecting Applications for the Enterprise (Pro-Developer) by Dino Esposito. You can also take some more complex and harder to read books (I'm sure somebody will recommend you some of these) but the one I suggested is good to get started. It's somewhere between theory and practice and it is good start to more complex books.

To get started I suggest you to start building some application and then also take a look at how other developers have built UI-s and data layers of their applications, how they have managed dependency injection and testability etc. Learn as you go. With no hands-on practice it's hard to make valid decisions.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:54 AM