XDesProc.exe memory leaks with VS2012 RC?

Question

• I've noticed that for each Xaml file opened in VS2012-RC (on the Release Preview), there is another instance of the XDesProc.exe (viewable in TaskManager | Details) created.

Even after closing all Xaml windows, the memory used by each of these processes just keeps increasing.

On any given day, I've been forced to restart VS2012-RC too many times, either when it completely stops responding or gets stuck prompting that there is a (designer) process that is taking too long to complete - do you want to report this to Microsoft?

Apologies in advance, if this isn't the right forum to post this question - the old editor forum has been deprecated, but I cant find one related to Xaml - does anyone know where the right forum is located now?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:39 PM

Answers

• Yes, these process are for XAML Designer in Visual Studio and will continue to run even after you close the XAML file in the project. These processes will be terminated when you close the solution.

Good to know that you are not seeing a continuous increase in the memory for xDesProc.exe.

-Navit Saxena

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Jay,

The XDesProc.exe instance is per project, so if you have XAML files opened from different two projects in the solution, you will see two instances of XDesProc.exe. What you are describing here looks like a bug and we would like to understand the root issue here.

Will it be possible for you to share a repro project \ repro details with me at navits at microsoft dot com? Also, it will be really useful if I can remote login on your machine to investigate this.

-Navit Saxena

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Yes, the xaml files were in two different projects in our solution.

I was able to repro this using Tim Heuer's Callisto toolkit. Open any of the xaml files in Callisto.TestApp, then open themes/generic.xaml in the Callisto project. After closing the xaml files, XDesProc.exe processes are still running, the memory usage keeps bouncing around but does level off after a bit. Should these processes continue to run?

Hopefully, this will be easier for you to repro.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Yes, these process are for XAML Designer in Visual Studio and will continue to run even after you close the XAML file in the project. These processes will be terminated when you close the solution.

Good to know that you are not seeing a continuous increase in the memory for xDesProc.exe.

-Navit Saxena

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:13 AM
  • I too am having this issue where over time I get a number of xDesProc.exe processes running and they consume a pile of memory.  Eventually VS starts freezing for many seconds at a time.  By forcibly killing these xDesProc.exe processes in Task Manager, VS resumes normal speed.  Please fix.  Annoying.

Sean

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

In my scenario, multiple instances of Xdesproc.exe are getting created.

Every time when I do some changes in Xaml files, each time a new instance is getting created and memory leakage is also increased when I do changes in the same file.

I have done the settings to disable loading designer files for every xaml file, but still the instances are getting created,

Last but not the least, the xaml files are in the same project.

Thanking you in advance...!!!

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:15 PM