none
Regarding the possibility of creating a Norwegian translation of Small Basic

Question

• Hello,

This is more of a question to the Small Basic team, rather than to the community at large, but perhaps the question (and its answers) will find others with a similar interest later.

I am considering to introduce Small Basic to one of my children, and in that regard I feel having the GUI in our native language would make for a slightly easier and more "inviting" experience. I would be willing to allocate time to contribute towards creating a Norwegian translation of the IDE.

How would I go about doing that (aside from "hacking" copies of binary resource files)? Is the project open to additional translations?

Best regards,

Odd B. Henriksen

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm sure the V-Team would be interested in having a Norwegian translation produced, and I'll be sure to bring this thread to their attention.

In the meantime, you should be able to produce your own translations by creating an XML file containing the translations in the Small Basic installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic by default). The files containing translations are SmallBasicLibrary.xml and Strings.resx:

The files are suffixed with an ISO 639 language code of the relevant language (de for German, ko for Korean, etc), so I would imagine that if you added another with a new code it would be loaded (provided your operating system is set to use that language).

The ISO code for Nynorsk is nn, and the code for Bokmål is nb, so you would want to create either SmallBasicLibrary.nn.xml and Strings.nn.resx or SmallBasicLibrary.nb.xml and Strings.nb.resx.

The upside is that none of these files are binary, but are instead just plain XML. The downside is that they are not small files and there would seem to be a fair amount you'd need to do if you were to create your own translation. I would also stress that I have not tested whether the Small Basic IDE will load a new language, so you might want to edit only a few strings as a test before you do too much work.

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:50 PM
  • This is a link to the required norwegian files norwgianSmallBasicLibrary.no.xml and Strings.no.resx files.

Auto generated of couse, so some will be odd - edit them.

Unzip and copy these 2 files to the SB installation folder and start SB with:

SB.exe /lang:no-no

I can very easily do any other language (well 50ish) if anyone wants one from this list.  I could also do extension xmls.

Any takers for one of the Klingon languages?

Arabic
    Bosnian (Latin)
    Bulgarian
    Catalan
    Chinese Simplified
    Chinese Traditional
    Croatian
    Czech
    Danish
    Dutch
    English
    Estonian
    Finnish
    French
    German
    Greek
    Haitian Creole
    Hebrew
    Hindi
    Hmong Daw
    Hungarian
    Indonesian
    Italian
    Japanese
    Kiswahili
    Klingon
    Klingon (pIqaD)
    Korean
    Latvian
    Lithuanian
    Malay
    Maltese
    Yucatec Maya
    Norwegian Bokmål
    Querétaro Otomi
    Persian
    Polish
    Portuguese
    Romanian
    Russian
    Serbian (Cyrillic)
    Serbian (Latin)
    Slovak
    Slovenian
    Spanish
    Swedish
    Thai
    Turkish
    Ukrainian
    Urdu
    Vietnamese
    Welsh

Saturday, April 30, 2016 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm sure the V-Team would be interested in having a Norwegian translation produced, and I'll be sure to bring this thread to their attention.

In the meantime, you should be able to produce your own translations by creating an XML file containing the translations in the Small Basic installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Small Basic by default). The files containing translations are SmallBasicLibrary.xml and Strings.resx:

The files are suffixed with an ISO 639 language code of the relevant language (de for German, ko for Korean, etc), so I would imagine that if you added another with a new code it would be loaded (provided your operating system is set to use that language).

The ISO code for Nynorsk is nn, and the code for Bokmål is nb, so you would want to create either SmallBasicLibrary.nn.xml and Strings.nn.resx or SmallBasicLibrary.nb.xml and Strings.nb.resx.

The upside is that none of these files are binary, but are instead just plain XML. The downside is that they are not small files and there would seem to be a fair amount you'd need to do if you were to create your own translation. I would also stress that I have not tested whether the Small Basic IDE will load a new language, so you might want to edit only a few strings as a test before you do too much work.

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:50 PM
  • It would be possible to do an auto translation of the xml fairly easily, then perhaps just correct some of the computer generated translation manually.

Do you want me to do this bit to get you started?

Saturday, April 30, 2016 9:14 AM
  • This is a link to the required norwegian files norwgianSmallBasicLibrary.no.xml and Strings.no.resx files.

Auto generated of couse, so some will be odd - edit them.

Unzip and copy these 2 files to the SB installation folder and start SB with:

SB.exe /lang:no-no

I can very easily do any other language (well 50ish) if anyone wants one from this list.  I could also do extension xmls.

Any takers for one of the Klingon languages?

Arabic
    Bosnian (Latin)
    Bulgarian
    Catalan
    Chinese Simplified
    Chinese Traditional
    Croatian
    Czech
    Danish
    Dutch
    English
    Estonian