Auto look-up in Sharepoint 2010 possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is two lists, 1.User list, 2.PC list, contains User-ID and PC-ID and related info.
    I have create a look-up column (PC-ID) in the User list, so that there will be a drop down list of PC-ID for assigning specific PC to a specific user.

The question is that, is there any way, that I can call the assigned User-ID back on the PC list, such that, after assigning a PC to a user (by creating an item in the User list and select the PC-ID in the look-up field), then the UserID could AUTOMATICALLY show up in the PC list (w/o manually update the PC item in the PC list)

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In OOTB I don't know but if you can use Visual Studio, you can developp an event receiver which update PC List's item when an item of user List is updating (or creating). you  can do the same when an item of PC List is updating and Creating...

NicoBzh

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Here is no coding solution. It's not elegant, but it works for you.

1. create another lookup column (User-ID) in the PC-list.

2. create a SPD workflow on the User list (on change, created) to update the lookup column (User-ID) in the PC. Please see the quick screen shot below

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

There is nothing can do this OOB.

Either develop an event handler or create a SharePoint Designer Workflow, that updates item in user list from the data in pc list when user id in pc list is equal to a user id in user list.

I'd recommend using SharePoint Designer workflow, add if condition and add update item action.

Hope this helps.

Mai Omar Desouki | Software Consultant | Infusion | MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MCT Microsoft Certified Trainer & MCC Microsoft Community Contributor | Email: mai_omar_86@live.com | Blog: http://moresharepoint.wordpress.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In OOTB I don't know but if you can use Visual Studio, you can developp an event receiver which update PC List's item when an item of user List is updating (or creating). you  can do the same when an item of PC List is updating and Creating...

NicoBzh

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Here is no coding solution. It's not elegant, but it works for you.

1. create another lookup column (User-ID) in the PC-list.

2. create a SPD workflow on the User list (on change, created) to update the lookup column (User-ID) in the PC. Please see the quick screen shot below

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

There is nothing can do this OOB.

Either develop an event handler or create a SharePoint Designer Workflow, that updates item in user list from the data in pc list when user id in pc list is equal to a user id in user list.

I'd recommend using SharePoint Designer workflow, add if condition and add update item action.

Hope this helps.

Mai Omar Desouki | Software Consultant | Infusion | MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MCT Microsoft Certified Trainer & MCC Microsoft Community Contributor | Email: mai_omar_86@live.com | Blog: http://moresharepoint.wordpress.com

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:50 AM