SQL server account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Difference between modifying SQL Server service and Agent account from Configuration manager and Services.msc

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:48 PM

Answers

• SQL Server Configuration Manager (SSCM) makes WMI call (SQL specific calls) to change the service account and it takes care of all permission on registry/group membership change. Services.msc is not a SQL tool and it doesn't know anything about permissions which are needed by SQL service account on various objects (registry/file level).

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:21 PM

All replies

• SQL Server Configuration Manager (SSCM) makes WMI call (SQL specific calls) to change the service account and it takes care of all permission on registry/group membership change. Services.msc is not a SQL tool and it doesn't know anything about permissions which are needed by SQL service account on various objects (registry/file level).

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:21 PM
  • SQL Server Service: This is the 'core service' or 'engine' for SQL Server. This process is the cornerstone of the SQL Server set of services. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server

SQL Agent: This is an 'ancillary service' that is responsible for executing scheduled tasks. It is dependent on the SQL Server Service. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa174478(v=sql.80).aspx

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:03 PM