Windows 8: Localized Live Tile "branding" text does not change when the language changes although all other strings act as expected

Question

• I've been seeing this issue of the live tile "branding"(using the apps name) text not changing with the rest of the app, when the computer's locale is changed, both in my own and in Microsoft's Windows 8 apps. 

To get all the other strings to change I simply need to close and reopen the app, however the branding doesn't change until you logout/login or restart the computer.

Is anyone aware of this issue?

Is there a workaround for getting the "branding" to behave like the rest of the app strings?

Thanks,

Suzy

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Suzy,

Yes, absolute the problem is not on your side, it is a default system behavior.

As we know the tile is a kind a xml and the app send this xml to system for the tile display. When app language has been changed, the system still keep the older version of xml(and will not update automatically), for this reason I don't think tile will change the language with the system.

Try with Quickstart: Sending a tile update, you can always update the tile as you need.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Suzy,

Take a look at Quickstart: Translating UI resources first, it seems that you need to change the Language but not Location. Location only affect with the Store App Market.

Test the app for the other languages.

1. Open the Control Panel, and select Clock, Language, and Region > Language.
    2. Note that the language that was displayed when you ran the app is the top language listed that is English, German, or French. If your top language is not one of these three, the app falls back to the next one on the list that the app supports.
    3. If you do not have all three of these languages on your machine, add the missing ones by clicking Add a language and adding them to the list.
    4. To test the app with another language, select the language in the list and click Move up until it is at the top. Then run the app.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:56 AM
  • To get all the other strings to change I simply need to close and reopen the app, however the branding doesn't change until you logout/login or restart the computer.

Is anyone aware of this issue?

http://ytzjl.com/

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I meant that I was changing the language when I said locale, my mistake.

What you and the document describe are exactly what I'm doing.

The problem is that live tiles, that have branding tied to the app name (localized) are not changing when all other strings are. 

Is there any way to get them to behave like all the other strings?

I've noticed this behavior in Microsoft apps as well which indicates that it may not be an error on my part, I'd like to find a solution or a definitive answer that this is an issue so that I can tell my stakeholders.

Thanks,

Suzy

Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Hi Suzy,

Yes, absolute the problem is not on your side, it is a default system behavior.

As we know the tile is a kind a xml and the app send this xml to system for the tile display. When app language has been changed, the system still keep the older version of xml(and will not update automatically), for this reason I don't think tile will change the language with the system.

Try with Quickstart: Sending a tile update, you can always update the tile as you need.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:45 AM
  • Thanks so much James, I'll try sending an update to get it to change with the rest of the strings.

Friday, January 10, 2014 5:26 PM