Creating WCF Data Services from a Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

At the moment I have a website that is connecting to the database the old fashion way, ie through stored procs from a back-end.  Now I wish to change all this to services, so that I can consume this data from different applications.

I wish to have your advice on what is the best way to do this since I am fairly new to WCF Services?  My idea is to have a web app possibly in Silverlight, a WPF application, and maybe in the future a small Android app that connects to these services.  I also wish to use Entity Framework as the ORM that drives the data.

Thanks for your help and time

http://www.johannmontfort.com
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:05 AM

All replies

• Since you are planning to have many different kinds of client applications access your database-backed service, you probably want to create an OData service. WCF Data Services (part of the .NET Framework 4) has an Entity Framework provider that makes it easy to expose your existing database as an OData service (using Entity Framework you can keep your existing sprocs, but it's quite a bit more difficult and doesn't really add anything--aside from explicit control of queries).

You can follow the WCF Data Services quickstart to see how to create a data service based on Northwind.

Once you have your OData service created, there are client libraries that enable you to consume OData feeds in apps on your target platforms:

Cheers,

Glenn Gailey

Please visit my blog

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:36 PM