none
ActiveSync connection problems w VM RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a Windows 7 Pro box with a Virtual XP Pro server running.  When I plug in the USB cable from my Windows CE device The Windows 7 Windows Mobile Device Center comes up but I'm wanting the ActiveSync on the virtual machine to actually come up and connect.

It actually connect once but I cannot get it to activate via ActiveSync again on the virtual machine.  I'll close the auto run instance of Windows 7 Windows Mobile Device Center and try to manually connect but no dice.  I've gone up to the USB dropdown and attached the "unidentified device" but I can't get Active Sync to connect again....

I suppose the whole idea of a virtual box doesn't translate well with autostart apps such as ActiveSync.  If I am programmatically bouncing the device OS I need for the virtual box to rerecognize (and reattach) to the device via Active Sync spinning up to make the connection.

Looks like I'll have to keep the old box around after all.  Darn! 

I've turned of the Windows Mobile Device service so every device connection will only start the Active Sync engine on the virtual machine.  Only thing is the USB attacment seems to drop and when it does it's almost impossible to reconnect to ActiveSync.   Is this a known issue with the virtual machine's USB connection?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:04 PM

Answers

• As it turned out I started doing device development debugging on my old box and the ActiveSync dropped and nothing I could do would restore the connection.  This was the exact same problem I was having with the virtual server!!  I scrounged up another connector and plugged it into the old box and the connection was immediate.

Turns out the connector has some kinda short in it that was dropping the connection randomly.  So I can now use the virtual machine for all my older development and pretty soon be able to retire the old box.  I was wondering why no responses and this tells me why.  It was the cable all along.

Thanks

Harry

• Marked as answer by Mimosa Arts Monday, February 20, 2012 6:12 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:12 PM