VS crash / xaml file being edited replaced w/gibberish

General discussion

• I'm not sure if anything would have been logged to try to track this down, but while I was editing a xaml file in VS, the program hung and explorer hung as well.  I could manipulate other windows on the desktop at this point.  I pressed ctrl+alt+del and when I clicked on task manager the mouse froze and everything was cooked, repeating sound buffer and all. 

I'm not sure exactly what caused this error, but it wasn't that big of a deal because this is pre-release software and all and occasional crashes are expected.  Something much worse happened when I restarted, though, and unfortunately there may be one additional complication I'll get to right after describing the bigger issue.

When I try to re-open the xaml file I was editing at the time of the crash, it pops up a message with a title of "Encoding" and the name of the file as the only text.  Below that, there's a drop-down for selecting the "Encoding:".  The default option is "(Auto-Detect)" and there are a bunch of language - codepage options, along with OK/Cancel buttons.  When I pick Auto-Detect it generates what looks like an empty file (1 really long line of perhaps spaces or perhaps something it's not reading right given the "encoding" issue).

The complication, which I don't know whether it would impact this or not, is that the project is saved on my SkyDrive so I can access it across my laptop and desktop.  I suppose it's possible with the crash that some partial operation didn't complete, but since I wasn't editing it on the other computer at the same time that seems unlikely to me.  FYI, after I saw the file was garbled I opened it up on the laptop, and it produced the same error there.  When I open in notepad/wordpad/etc. it looks like a bunch of whitespace.

Fortunately nothing else in the project seems messed up.  The file was a couple hours of work, but mostly learning and not too complicated so it's not a huge problem for me personally and I'm not too concerned about trying to get the file "fixed" if there could be some way to do that.  If I can do anything that might make it possible to figure out what happened, I'll be happy to help.

FYI, the *.xaml.cs file was untouched and is still intact.

Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:17 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the report.

Unfortunately, we have seen a couple of these reports internal to our team as well. To help zero in on the cause, we will need some more information (like the graphics card driver you have installed on your machine and the make/model of your card). Could you please get in touch with me directly at unnir at microsoft dot com, so I could get this information?

Thanks!
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 4, 2012 6:37 AM
  • I have exact same problem? hmmm what would be the solution??? i have ATI Radion 6870 with the latest driver.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:59 AM
  • This issue was addressed in Windows 8 RTM. I am assuming you are on Windows 8 Release Preview - can you try to move to RTM?

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:13 AM
  • I am using windows 7. is there any way i can recover or fix these files?
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:28 AM