Print Access Report RRS feed

• Question

• User1510859543 posted

We are converting a Microsoft Access application to a web-based intranet application.  Our Access application has several reports that we would like to be able to print from our asp.net application.  Is this possible and can someone point me to getting more info on how to do that?  Also, most workstations have Access installed, but not all that will use web app.  Thanks.

Friday, January 24, 2014 11:19 AM

Answers

• User-1185172246 posted

ReportViewer features a client print functionality but it's limited in some aspects. In fact, many of other thrid party reporting tools based on web technologies like ASP.NET also lacks of full support for client printing. In ReportViewer user is provided with a print button on a toolbar which allows them to print the report to any installed printer but it only works on IE browser. To get reportviewer print button to work on any browser, then you could try this approach and use it or create one at your end.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:15 AM

All replies

• User-1185172246 posted

The answer is no, sadly. ASP.NET is a server based platform i.e. your code will run at server side and will render back HTML back to the client browser. From ASP.NET you do not have access to client's installed software nor system resources. You will have to convert (manually) your Access reports to RDLC Local Reports (free option that comes with VS) and display those reports using ReportViewer control on your aspx pages.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:45 AM
  • User1510859543 posted

Thank you. If I use the ReportViewer can I send the report directly to the default printer like Access does?  If not, is there an alternative?

Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:45 AM
  • User-1185172246 posted

ReportViewer features a client print functionality but it's limited in some aspects. In fact, many of other thrid party reporting tools based on web technologies like ASP.NET also lacks of full support for client printing. In ReportViewer user is provided with a print button on a toolbar which allows them to print the report to any installed printer but it only works on IE browser. To get reportviewer print button to work on any browser, then you could try this approach and use it or create one at your end.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 7:15 AM