none
Can a custom Task Pane in Word 2007/2010 be created using Macro? RRS feed

• Question

• Can a custom Task Pane in Word 2007/2010 be created using Macros?

We are looking to include the entire creation of Task Pane in a .dot file so that it is easy to manage and deliver. And hence looking to avoid the need of C#, VC++, etc due to maintenance reasons. 

Also let me know if it can be done using the XML programming like what is used for Ribbon customization.

Please let me know if it is possible. If yes, links to any guide will be helpful.

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Rohit

I'm afraid that you can only create custom task panes using a COM Add-in, whether the standard COM Add-in or a VSTO Add-in. There's no way to define a custom task pane using VBA or XML like in the Office Fluent UI (Ribbon).

If the pane should be specific to a document, then you'd want a VSTO document-level customization and it would then be an "Actions Pane".

ClickOnce technology should make distribution fairly simple, as far as the user-side is concerned.

You might also want to look at the new "Web app" technology in Office 2013. This lets you create a task pane in Word that's linked to code on the Internet/Intranet (or in SharePoint), but the solution is at the application, not the document leve.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Rohit Jain Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:04 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Rohit

I'm afraid that you can only create custom task panes using a COM Add-in, whether the standard COM Add-in or a VSTO Add-in. There's no way to define a custom task pane using VBA or XML like in the Office Fluent UI (Ribbon).

If the pane should be specific to a document, then you'd want a VSTO document-level customization and it would then be an "Actions Pane".

ClickOnce technology should make distribution fairly simple, as far as the user-side is concerned.

You might also want to look at the new "Web app" technology in Office 2013. This lets you create a task pane in Word that's linked to code on the Internet/Intranet (or in SharePoint), but the solution is at the application, not the document leve.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Rohit Jain Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:04 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Thanks for the response, Cindy. This will help in further exploration.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:05 AM