MSDN Downloads RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased (and activated) a MSDN Expression Pro subscription, and I went to MSDN Downloads to see what I could download. Apparently, I can't download anything (from *that* site), even the free stuff, such as SQL Server 2008 Expresss.  However, I *can* download from the Expression Pro site, unless I want (you guessed it) SQL Server 2008 Express, or the SDKs, or anything else that doesn't require a MSDN subscription - because they're NOT LISTED.

Why in the frakking world is this the case? Why isn't my subscription valid on the regular MSDN download site?

Is this just an oversight, or has Microsoft somehow misplaced the meaning of the word "convenience"?  Really, I want to know.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 9:35 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay in response John.  I'm a little lost on what your issue is.  SQL 2008 Express editions are not available from your subscription because they are freely available from Microsoft.  However, SQL Server 2008 Express can be installed/downloaded from this url: http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/.

Please let me know if this doesn't help with your issue.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in response here etjoseph. Actually, we were able to resolve the original issue that John had once he was able to share some more data about his subscription with me individually.  I had to dig up an email from 18 months ago to confim this, but I can confirm it.  His original question was surfaced because he had an Expression Subscription, which was different from an MSDN Subscription at the time.  around 8 months ago, though, the Expression Subscription was ended, and they are now transitioned to MSDN, as you can see here: http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc440754.aspx

Enough recapping of ancient history though :)

I believe your issue is that you see many downloads on the MSDN Subscriber Download page which are Greyed out.  If so, per this guidance here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx, you can tell the reason that a file is greyed out if you mouse-over the text "Unavailable."  

One likely cause of seeing Grey text is that your subscription is not permissioned to access the files in question.  To confirm this, you can click on the "View Details" link next to any product that appears this way to see the Subscription Levels which *are* permissioned for that particular product.

Another likely cause of seeing greyed out downloads is that you are not signed in, or that your Subscription has not been activated.   To confirm this, again, you can mouse over the text, or you can also visit the "My Account" tab, and see if your Subscription has been activated to your Live ID.

Lastly, while there are a great number of products in MSDN (and incidentally, they also come in a very large number of possible languages), we understand that it can be an almost unmanageably large number of files to scroll through.  This is why we have implemented the "My Products" check box which is at the top of the Subscriber Downloads TOC.   If you check this box, the TOC will only display products for which your Subscription has permissions, so you don't have to scroll past products which are unavailable to you.  More information about this is on this same guidance page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx

If you continue to have questions, please click the "Site Feedback" link at the bottom of the Subscriber Downloads page and include your Subscriber ID as well as which particular files you're unable to download, I'll be able to help you out specifically.

Thanks!
    Mike

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Friday, January 28, 2011 11:07 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 11:05 PM

All replies

• Isn't anyone from Microsoft going to respond to this?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:49 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in response John.  I'm a little lost on what your issue is.  SQL 2008 Express editions are not available from your subscription because they are freely available from Microsoft.  However, SQL Server 2008 Express can be installed/downloaded from this url: http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/download/.

Please let me know if this doesn't help with your issue.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:24 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:24 PM
  • 0) When I go to the Subscriber Download page, there are HUNDREDS or items listed for download, but each and every one is grayed out.  Being a subscriber, and being on the *Subscriber* Downloads page, this baffles me.  I have a MSDN subscription.  I am entitled to a a limited subset of the items available, yet I can't download them from the main Subscriber Downloads page.   I am forced to go to the Expression Pro subscriber site and download from there.  This makes no sense at all to me.

1) There are various items that can be downloaded without having a MSDN subscription.  They're listed on the main MSDN Subscriber Downloads site, but I can't download them.  So, where do you think I would look next?  That's right - the Expression Pro Subscriber Downloads page.  But gadzooks! Those same items that were listed on the main downloads page aren't listed on the Expression Pro download page. A google search and a dozen mouse clicks later, I've found a place where I could download it without that worthless WebPlatform Installer thing getting in the way.

It seems to me that the MSDN site could be made more convenient and usable for the  subscribers. 

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:02 PM
  • hmm, that is confusing. 

Go ahead and hit up the 'site feedback' link at the bottom of the download page and fill out that form.  Be sure to include your Subscription ID, so I can look up your account.  I'll see if I can untangle this for you.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Proposed as answer by Shamil Nunhuck Sunday, January 31, 2010 11:31 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Done, and thanks. :)

Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:09 PM
  • By the way, would you help me to know what MSDN exactly is?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:15 PM
  • By the way, would you help me to know what MSDN exactly is?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:22 PM
  • I have the exact same problem.  Microsoft's reply seems to indicate they did not bother to actually read the original post.  I understood it.. I purchased an MSDN subscription, and the only things availabe to me from the MSDN download site are the same products that are availabe for free.... everything else is greyed out..  What is the value of this MSDN subscription if nothing is available except those products that do not require an MSDN subscription?

Microsoft, can you please post a reply (after reading first)?

Thanks

Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in response here etjoseph. Actually, we were able to resolve the original issue that John had once he was able to share some more data about his subscription with me individually.  I had to dig up an email from 18 months ago to confim this, but I can confirm it.  His original question was surfaced because he had an Expression Subscription, which was different from an MSDN Subscription at the time.  around 8 months ago, though, the Expression Subscription was ended, and they are now transitioned to MSDN, as you can see here: http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc440754.aspx

Enough recapping of ancient history though :)

I believe your issue is that you see many downloads on the MSDN Subscriber Download page which are Greyed out.  If so, per this guidance here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx, you can tell the reason that a file is greyed out if you mouse-over the text "Unavailable."  

One likely cause of seeing Grey text is that your subscription is not permissioned to access the files in question.  To confirm this, you can click on the "View Details" link next to any product that appears this way to see the Subscription Levels which *are* permissioned for that particular product.

Another likely cause of seeing greyed out downloads is that you are not signed in, or that your Subscription has not been activated.   To confirm this, again, you can mouse over the text, or you can also visit the "My Account" tab, and see if your Subscription has been activated to your Live ID.

Lastly, while there are a great number of products in MSDN (and incidentally, they also come in a very large number of possible languages), we understand that it can be an almost unmanageably large number of files to scroll through.  This is why we have implemented the "My Products" check box which is at the top of the Subscriber Downloads TOC.   If you check this box, the TOC will only display products for which your Subscription has permissions, so you don't have to scroll past products which are unavailable to you.  More information about this is on this same guidance page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948864.aspx

If you continue to have questions, please click the "Site Feedback" link at the bottom of the Subscriber Downloads page and include your Subscriber ID as well as which particular files you're unable to download, I'll be able to help you out specifically.

Thanks!
    Mike

• Proposed as answer by Mike Kinsman Friday, January 28, 2011 11:07 PM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 11:05 PM