none
How to make a custom Windows Explorer

Question

• I am making my own OS and I want to make a Custom Windows Explorer to store files like a regular windows explorer, how would I do that?
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Could you better describe what you are trying to do?  You aren't actually going to build an Operating System with .Net...  you are going to build an application which runs on an existing operating system.  You can build your own file explorer application, but it would still be an application that has to be executed within the OS.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:15 AM
  • I want to make my own file browser for my program.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:48 AM
  • I want to make my own file browser for my program.
    What is it that you are browsing?  Is it the file system maintained by Windows (the same file system that Explorer browses) or is it the file system that you are creating for your OS?
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:19 PM
  • I want to make a file system for my OS but in a Windows Explorer Style
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:29 PM

Hi

I don't see this as being a VB.NET related question. Creating an OS is not a trivial task, and you won't be using VB.NET for such a task.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:29 PM
    Explorer is a viewer for the file system.  The file system and its viewer are two separate things.  Start with the file system - when you have that up and functioning, you can write the viewer to view it with.
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Hello,

What doesn't Windows Explorer do that you need to create your own? I would first consider what is the main objective as writing your own version with enhancements is quite the under taking.

To get an idea what it takes, see this Code Project article in C# source (yes I realize it's not vb) or this vb.net Code Project article for viewing images.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:21 PM
  • I made one using a webbrowser
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

Could you better describe what you are trying to do?  You aren't actually going to build an Operating System with .Net...  you are going to build an application which runs on an existing operating system.  You can build your own file explorer application, but it would still be an application that has to be executed within the OS.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

I would assume he's describing a replacement Shell for Windows rather than a whole OS from scratch.  That said... it's been a while since I last took a look at it, but Cosmos is a fully managed .NET "from scratch" OS that is entirely .NET based (other than a tiny bit of C for the boot loader).  It's open source and can be used as a sort of OS "kit" whereby you can create your own bootable OS in C# or VB.

Really is amazing (to me) what some folk have been able to do with .NET over the 15+ years that it's been public!

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:37 PM
  • ... but Cosmos is a fully managed .NET "from scratch" OS that is entirely .NET based (other than a tiny bit of C for the boot loader).  It's open source and can be used as a sort of OS "kit" whereby you can create your own bootable OS in C# or VB.

Really is amazing (to me) what some folk have been able to do with .NET over the 15+ years that it's been public!

That's amazing - but it does make me wonder why someone would want to.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:01 PM