Secure Store Server RRS feed

• Question

• I installed fresh SharePoint 2010 environment and was having some issues setting up reporting so i deleted the Secure Store Service and was going to reinstall the service but now i am getting the following error:

Creation of Secure Store Service Application Secure Store Service failed because of the following errors: The timer job completed, but failed on one or more machines in the farm.

I have everything installed on one test server so i am unsure about this error. It looks like it partially installs the service but it shows the Secure Store Service Application Proxy as Stopped in the Manager Service application section. When I initially installed Sharepoint 2010 it installed correctly so i am not sure why its failing now.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:23 PM

Answers

• Ok, so we adjusted permissions and that worked, we also deleted the old database table from the initial install of the secure store service and ran the configuration wizard.
    • Marked as answer by brentwood3627 Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:23 PM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:23 PM

All replies

• Deleted it again, and then use the configuration wizard to reinstall it instead of creating it manually.  Also, be sure you're logged into the machine and the browser with your farm account.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Thanks, So i deleted the secure store service logged into the server as the farm admin account and ran the configuration wizard. It started to add the Secure Store Service but then i received the following error:

CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'Secure_Store_Service_DB_48c850bd41244295bb9bca290b1c1f9f'.

The admin account is db_owner in thay database so i am not sure why it would be denied permissions.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Ok, so we adjusted permissions and that worked, we also deleted the old database table from the initial install of the secure store service and ran the configuration wizard.
    • Marked as answer by brentwood3627 Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:23 PM
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:23 PM
  • After installing/configuring probably 50-60 production environments of SharePoint Server Standard and Enterprise, I worked through this issue doing the following. Before I step through these however, I will say that if I used the Configuration Wizard, it always successfully created the Secure Store Service service application and proxy, without fail.

My final tests have me doing the following each time, and for reaons not fully understood, this works consistently each pass:

Create the Secure Store Service - manually - from in Manage Service Applications --> New --> Secure Store Service

Fill in the required information, but for the application pool, select the Microsoft Web Services application pool. you'll notice that your service account grays out - that's fine.

OK

It'll probably give this infamous error.

Back in the Manage Service Applications, select your new Secure Store Service instance - not the proxy - the application - the liine that has ERROR to the far right.

Click Properties.

Do not change anything - simply scroll down and OK to close that dialog.

Depending on your environment (memory, etc) this may churn for a moment or few - then it'll return a dialog - and voila! - i receive a dialog that my property changes were applied successfully.

When I return to the Manage Service Applications, I see my new instance is now started and running.

I was able to select it, go in and generate a key, refresh the key and setup application ID's.

HTH's...

Michael...
    • Proposed as answer by KBES Monday, March 12, 2012 9:48 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Hi

I have the exact same error and I followed all the instructions given above but my Secure Store Service still doesn't start. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Regards

Monday, April 4, 2011 10:29 PM
  • It worked for me. 

Is this documented Microsoft Procedure? :)

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Thanks Michael, worked smooth :)
    Monday, May 28, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Hi Michael,

It's worked me.

Can i ask below questions,

Why we need to choose Microsoft Web Services application pool, any specific reasons?

Is this documented by Microsoft?

Thanks in advance

Thanks,

JP

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:29 AM