none
Why Azure Storage Biling Rates so High ($5/day) OUCH

Question

• Hello folks!  I am going through an Azure Free Trial, and its insane how I'm burning through charges just on storage services @ $5 a day charges!  5*30 = $150 just for holding on to data!!!!  Something must not be correct here.  Are there ways to push databases to both Azure SQL Server VM and Azure SQL Server App without using blob storage transfers?  Via SCP, SFTP or other streaming means?  If I shuts VMs that have storage  resources associations, are there ongoing charges for storage even if VM is shut down?  Any way of transferring on premise SQL database into Azure SQL Server App without using blob storage?  Using One Drive SCP, FTP, Visual Studio etc?

Monday, December 12, 2016 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Emil,

Thank you for your screenshot, according to your screenshot, the P30 storage is high performance Solid State Drive (SSD) based storage designed to support I/O intensive workloads with significantly high throughput and low latency. Premium storage account is regardless of the amount of actual data written to the disk or the IOPS/throughput used. Billing for any provisioned disk/blob is prorated hourly using the monthly price for the Premium Storage offer. For example, if you provisioned a P30 disk and deleted it after 20 hours, you are billed for the P10 offering prorated to 20 hours.

More information about premium disks, please refer to the link below:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/disks/

For test, maybe we can use standard  storage account.

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jason_ye Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by 1tek4u Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for the education, and thank God this was just a trial, and was able to stop the madness before it sucked down all the credit LOL!  I still think that if it might legally correct, and it even though might make money out of unsuspecting people I still think its WRONG if you understand where I'm coming from.  Knowing this I just need to be hyper alert of what Microsoft has provisioned for me and what it deems to be an "honest estimate".  

CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

Jason,  again thank you for your time and detailed explanations it has been very helpful to me.

Regards,

Emil

• Marked as answer by 1tek4u Friday, December 16, 2016 4:32 AM
    • Edited by 1tek4u Friday, December 16, 2016 4:34 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 4:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please tell more information about the storage? The storage used for a VM or created by the Azure SQL Server App? Because their prices are different. Different size with different price.

About Azure SQL database’s price, please refer to the link.

About Azure storage price, please refer to the link.

“Are there ways to push databases to both Azure SQL Server VM and Azure SQL Server App without using blob storage transfers?”

As far as I know, the Azure SQL Server App can’t use other storage, but the Azure VM can use other storage. We can deploy a site-to-site VPN between Azure and on premise, in this way we can mount the on premise storage to the VM, the site-to-site VPN will incur fees, and Azure can’t guarantee the SLA.

“If I shut VMs that have storage resources associations, are there ongoing charges for storage even if VM is shut down?”

The total cost depends on how much we store, the volume and type of storage transactions and outbound data transfers, and which data redundancy option we choose.

If the VM shutdown, storage capacity is billed in units of the average daily amount of data stored, in gigabytes (GB), over a monthly period. For example, if you consistently utilized 10 GB of storage for the first half of the month and none for the second half of the month, you would be billed for your average usage of 5 GB of storage. If the VM is shutdown, the cost will be reduced.

“Any way of transferring on premise SQL database into Azure SQL Server App without using blob storage?  Using One Drive SCP, FTP, Visual Studio etc?”

Sorry, there is no way to use other storage with Azure SQL Server App. This is by design, in this way, Azure will guarantee the SLA and performance.

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Best Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jason_ye Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Hi Jason,

This answer sounds great...

The total cost depends on how much we store, the volume and type of storage transactions and outbound data transfers, and which data redundancy option we choose.

But...

none of those details that you made or breakdown of these categories are shown in the billing details.  

Its an even Steven $5/day mostly...

It looks like somebody was asking, "hmm, how much should we charge, how about $5?  Yes that looks good, lets post that then".   Or lets charge for a processing fee, or convenience fee or something that costs $5 even.  

Cloud services typically account for minutes of usage.  It is statistically impossible for the number of seconds, uploads, etc to hit $5 even.  If that were the case maybe I should play the Lotto more often. 

That storage was just created for a SQL Server VM that was not active at all, other than a test upload and restoration to the SQL Server VM.  I uploaded perhaps a single Blob SQL.bak (at most 2 gigs) to it and nothing was outbounded as far as data transfer, unless you count restoring the backup into the SQL Server VM.

• Edited by 1tek4u Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Hi

I understand your idea, more information about billing details, we can find in the portal, view my bill:

Then we can find the summary for the subscription:

If you still have questions, welcome to post back here. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:00 AM
  • Hi My  Dear Friend Jason,

Thanks for the tip, this is what I get but, this was a SQL Server VM storage that was projected to be $85/mo and as a test all I did was restoring out < 2Gig SQL database and it just sat there doing NOTHING.  I did a couple remote connections to verify remote connectivity and that was all it did.  So in essence the relative charge for doing nothing for 8 days was 43.60!  No explanation whatsoever on how these charges have been calculated still.   Because of this I have halted immediately any additional testing for fear of surpassing my $200 credit for 30 days and helping Microsoft making of money for having a test instance just being parked doing absolutely no work.

This is a horrendous customer experience for what should be a pleasant experience when introduced to Microsoft's pride and joy Azure.  I am feeling like I should halt my FREE Trial immediately and remove my credit card for it feels like more of a trap to overextend the free trial and ending up owing a lot of money during this out of control FREE trial.

Regards,

Emil

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:40 AM
  • Jason,

At this stage I think it is very unfortunate not being able to get quick answers and a fast track guide on how to take full benefit of Azure during the 30 day trial without quickly incurring overcharges.  It seems like Microsoft's priority is getting customers that spend $1,000s of dollars a month and perhaps making money from overcharges originating from trial accounts.  It also seems that the current business mindset seems to be of not having full disclosure on where the $5/day charges from this default generated SQL Server VM storage is coming from.  

It is also rather ironic that I got a call from a Microsoft account representative as soon as I activated the trial account.  He left a message telling me that he was available to assist with any of my questions or needs.  Apparently it was only lip service as I left a voice message and I followed up with an e-mail  as well.   I never heard back from him.  I guess he did not see it as a BIG enough opportunity for him to capitalize or perhaps too much work.

Unfortunately this whole trial experience has been VERY DISAPPOINTING :-( what a pity, as Azure seems to have some cool capabilities.

• Edited by 1tek4u Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:18 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:12 AM
  • Hi Emil,

Thank you for your screenshot, according to your screenshot, the P30 storage is high performance Solid State Drive (SSD) based storage designed to support I/O intensive workloads with significantly high throughput and low latency. Premium storage account is regardless of the amount of actual data written to the disk or the IOPS/throughput used. Billing for any provisioned disk/blob is prorated hourly using the monthly price for the Premium Storage offer. For example, if you provisioned a P30 disk and deleted it after 20 hours, you are billed for the P10 offering prorated to 20 hours.

More information about premium disks, please refer to the link below:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/disks/

For test, maybe we can use standard  storage account.

Best Regards,

• Edited by Jason_ye Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by 1tek4u Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Dear Jason,

Thanks for the clarification, as this information has left me somehow in shock and wants me to warn everyone...

Azure Consumer Beware of what you Test

I think this provisioning estimate below is HIGHLY DECEPTIVE AND MISLEADING...

As you can notice, this is what Azure Auto Magically provisions as default so I assume this price revealed DOES NOT INCLUDE the fixed cost of the P30 storage @ $135.17/month that it provisioned as part of this VM instance.  If this weren't enough it provisions NOT (ONE) but (TWO) of these bad boys.  The second drive being one allocated for diagnostics! 

In essence my takeaway from this lesson learned is what is being advertised as being $82.58 is really more like

$82.58 + $135,17 + $135.17 =$352.92 at minimum and not $82.58 as shown in the 

selection process.

My advise to Azure Free Trial Testers is to beware of the default configuration Azure spins up for you as disk fixed costs are not included in that estimated price.  I wonder how many Azure Free Trial Testers have had this sticker shock experience.  

BTW my other warning to Azure Free Trial Testers is that when one removes the SQL SERVER VMs get deleted the storage devices don't get removed, so God only knows what the charges for these "left behind disks" are. 

Thanks for this unexpected revelation Jason you are the man with the ANSWER!  

Regards,

Emil

• Edited by 1tek4u Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Hi Emil,

In the Azure portal, we can see the price of the VM, this price includes only the virtual machine.

In Azure, we charge by resources. For example, create a virtual machine, we usually use the IP Address, Storage, Virtual Machine. Maybe we use pricing calculator to calculate:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/

Best Regards,

Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for the education, and thank God this was just a trial, and was able to stop the madness before it sucked down all the credit LOL!  I still think that if it might legally correct, and it even though might make money out of unsuspecting people I still think its WRONG if you understand where I'm coming from.  Knowing this I just need to be hyper alert of what Microsoft has provisioned for me and what it deems to be an "honest estimate".  

CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

Jason,  again thank you for your time and detailed explanations it has been very helpful to me.

Regards,

Emil

• Marked as answer by 1tek4u Friday, December 16, 2016 4:32 AM
    • Edited by 1tek4u Friday, December 16, 2016 4:34 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 4:32 AM