none
Suddenly started getting error: Additional information: Configuration system failed to initialize

Question

• I've just started receiving the above error when I try to run my application from visual studio (debug or release).
    I've not added any settings at all. Visual studio is throwing the same error on another application too.
    The strange thing is if I make the project into a template and log into my local account there is no problem
    (I normally log in under my Microsoft account). If I try to open the template when logged on to my Microsoft account I get the error.
    I've searched around for this problem but mostly the questions are pretty old and everything I've tried hasn't fixed the problem.
    Anyone else had this?

<Global.System.Configuration.UserScopedSettingAttribute(),  _
             Global.System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCodeAttribute(),  _
             Global.System.Configuration.DefaultSettingValueAttribute("False")>  _
            Public Property P0018() As Boolean
                Get
                    Return CType(Me("P0018"),Boolean) 'error thrown here
                End Get
                Set
                    Me("P0018") = value
                End Set
            End Property

Andy

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi AndyNakamura,

>> I've not added any settings at all. Visual studio is throwing the same error on another application too.

Do you mean this error would happen when you use your Visual Studio to create a new clean project? Could you share your Visual Studio version and your OS version?

>> I've just started receiving the above error when I try to run my application from visual studio (debug or release).

I suggest you could run your project on other visual studio to check whether the error still exists, so that to make sure whether this error is only related to your own Visual Studio.

This forum is about VB.NET programing, if it’s related to the Visual Studio, we could help you move this thread to the right forum for better support.

Best Regards,

Albert Zhang

• Marked as answer by AndyNakamura Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by AndyNakamura Saturday, May 14, 2016 6:55 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Hi Albert,

Sorry for posting to the wrong forum.
    The problem can be fixed by opening the template on the same machine, just a different login account.
    Strange.
    I ended up re-opening the project with a different account, saving with a different name then re-opening on my usual account. Maybe something just got corrupted somewhere.

Andy

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Hi AndyNakamura,

>> I ended up re-opening the project with a different account, saving with a different name then re-opening on my usual account.

I’m glad to know you have solved your issue and thank you for sharing the solution.

For further issues about usage of Visual Studio, you could post them in this forum for better support. If you any issues about VB.NET development, you are welcome to post them here.

Best Regards,

Albert Zhang

Friday, May 13, 2016 6:12 AM
  • Hi Albert,
    I unmarked the answer because the problem has occurred again. I seems to be related to my Microsoft login account.
    I don't have this problem when I login to windows through my local account.

I would be grateful if you could move this thread to a more suitable forum. I need to try and figure this one out.

Best regards

Andy

Saturday, May 14, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hi AndyNakamura,

Thank you for your response.

I have moved this thread to the right forum now. If you have any VB.NET development issues, you are welcome to post them here.

Best Regards,

Albert Zhang

• Edited by Albert_Zhang Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:14 AM modify the signature
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Hi Albert,
    Can you let me know where you posted it to? It's not appearing in 'My threads'

Thanks

Andy

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Hi Andy,

>>I seems to be related to my Microsoft login account. I don't have this problem when I login to windows through my local account.

Just to make this issue clearly, do you mean that you use the Microsoft account as the windows sign user or VS IDE sign in user like the following screen shot?

If it is the windows log in user, maybe you could run your VS as the admin, check it again.

Since local log-in user works well, I think we would think about that whether the new Microsoft account has the enough account or it has certain domain limitation for it. Maybe you could clean up the temp folder and re-test it again.

>>Configuration system failed to initialize...

I just met this kind of error in VB which were related to the config file before:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3445627/cant-get-rid-of-configuration-system-failed-to-initialize-exception-in-vb-net

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1787995/configuration-system-failed-to-initialize-in-net-exe

Maybe you could check it in your side.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:34 AM