none
How to find whether Visual Studio 15 preview 5 is installed or not by checking registry entry?

Question

• Hi,

How to find whether Visual Studio 15 preview 5 is installed or not by checking registry entry?

In VS 2015 installed machine, I have found out below registry for checking whether VS 2015 is installed or not.

Registry Location : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0 
    KeyValue : InstallDir

Could you please share how to get the install location for VS15 preview 5 from registry location or by programatically?

Regards,
    Mohamed Yasir K

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• VS "15" nor longer uses registry to support multiple instances installation. Please see Changes to Visual Studio “15” Setup post and Visual Studio Setup Configuration Samples library for more details.

Sergey Vlasov | Vlasov Studio | Visual Studio add-ins, extensions and tools

Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:44 AM
  • Hi Mohamed,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> In VS 2015 installed machine, I have found out below registry for checking whether VS 2015 is installed or not.

For VS 2015, please have a look at this Detecting Visual Studio Editions and to determine whether an edition of Visual Studio is installed, verify that the value of the Install registry key is (REG_DWORD) 1 in the appropriate folder, as listed in the following table. In the 64-bit version of the registry editor, 32-bit keys are displayed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\. The Visual Studio keys are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\14.0\xxx. In the 34-bit version, it should be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing\14.0\xxx.

Since the VS “15” Preview 5 is the preview version and it looks like there is no the specific registry key that we can confirmed the installed version. I tried to install the VS “15” Preview 5 on my computer and confirm the above registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\vs\Servicing and it looks like there is no the specific registry key like the following screenshot, since the VS “15” Preview 5 is the preview version.

To confirm the VS “15” Preview 5 is installed or not, you can directly go to Control Panel—Programs and Features and there is the item with name ‘Microsoft Visual Studio Installer’ and check its version, or run the VS “15” Preview 5 installer again, it should popups the installation screen with the “Modify” and “Launch” button as below which is different with the original installation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:49 AM